What is the C/DART and the C/PLEX?

What is the C/DART and the C/PLEX?

C/DART is a database recovery tool for analyzing and repairing C/SIDE databases. It is used only at Navision offices; C/PLEX is nothing - it was the name for a product that was never released and a strategy that was not continued, that of allowing multiple distinct server-side databases to be used by Navision.

Just to add more to Robert’s comments. C/DART is the simplest of tools, its not really a recovery tool, (though that’t what it is mainly used for), its actually an undo button. Basically you use C/DART to open a Navision database. C/Dart does not check if the data base is corrupt or not, and lets you connect no matter what. You then basically roll back till you find a version you want. The tool then allows you to save the database rolled back at a non corrupt version. I have used it for many different fixes, the most common two are 1/ A corrupt sector or some other disk corruption, where you can then roll back to a valid version, and be back running again, and 2/ recovering a deleted database. You can completely delete all companies in the database, and then just click the undo button to get them back. C/Dart’s only problem, is that Navision would never let it out of their offices, the reason being, that the program is so simple, it would be simple to debug, and thus work out how the database works. Lets hope that now witrh Microsoft’s more open technology policy, they will open it up to us[:D]. Wouldn’t it be great if the undo button actually did what it says[?]. You know like when someone acidently posts all open orders, or such like, the admin can log in press undo and viola its all back. C/Plex is even more interesting. It was released in version 1.1 or 1.3 of Navision (can’t remember which), but was only released in one or two countries, but the option has always been on the table properties, in the online help, AND for a short time on the price list. C/PLEX basically allows you to store a table on a server other than C/SIDE, eg SQL or Oracale. This is nothing like the Navision SQL option. Think of C/PLEX as being the complement/opposite of C/FRONT. It allows Navision to access data in an external database. Once the SQL option was available, I guess Navision no longer saw the need for C/PLEX. Personally I think it would be very usefull. It would make it very easy to mograte a client from (say) an Oracle based ERP system accross to Navision, and allow easy access to historical data. As a side note, I once sold C/PLEX to a client, so that we could interface to their SQL 6.5 service database. It was a little embarising when we were told that it was not a product, and where had we heard about it, since it was supposed to be secret, to which I forwarded them a copy of the Navision online help [:D]. In the end we wrote the interface with OCX, which dramatically increased the development time. I would liketo see these products both available, but I am pretty sure that MS would prefer us to move to SQL, so I guess it is not going to happen[V].