Using MS InfoPath with NAV

Hello all,

I’ve been tasked with creating a user form in InfoPath for simplifying the quotation of our product. We use Navision v4.0sp2 and I would like to know if there is any way I can reference cells/columns in the NAV database file for use in my user form. Since NAV keeps up with the average cost of our raw material I’d like to not have to create another speadsheet and then be required to update that once a week to keep our quotes accurate.

I was not able to figure out how to access the .fdb from excel either. I did read that MS Access could access the .fdb file by changing the file extension to .mdb, but I know even less about Access than I do any other program I’ve never touched before.

This simple little project is turning out to be a headache for me, so any help would be appreciated. BTW, I’m just a lowly CAD operator and don’t have any experience with any of the programs except excel, so simple dumbed down answers would do me the best.

Thanks!

Jason

I’ve interfaced with InfoPath before, though I used NAV running on SQL. All you really need, from InfoPath’s perspective, is a DSN (Data Source).

You can access turn the .fdb into a datasource by installing the NODBC driver.

The w1w1nodbc.pdf that ships with CD (in the Docs folder) will give you all the information you need to set this up. You are going to run into a couple of challenges extracting the average cost value. If you need average cost as of a date in the past, just forget this path – it’s far more trouble than its worth to do it this way. If you need “up to the second” average cost, you will still need to use flowfilters (probaby for perfomance) in which case be sure to read the chapters in the documentation on how to do that with NODBC.

Let us know if you need more help (after you try to get the documentation mentioned above)

PS

I have NEVER heard that you can change the file extension from .fdb to .mdb. It makes absolutely no sense given for many different reasons, but I’ll start with the fact that they are totally different implementations of B+ trees. Someone is pulling a fast one on you with that.

Thank you, I tried looking again for that page I found that said to change the file extension, but came up short. Not going to waste time looking. I want to get this DONE and get back to my beloved Solidworks. [:D]