User rights & Database!

Dear All,

I have a question, Do I have to have system admin rights on Navision Database in order to create new users in Navision?

The problem in our company developers are not allowed to have system admin rights on a DB, so can please anyone tell me which kind of rights should I have in order to be able to create new users in Navision without having the system Admin rights?

Or a system Admin rights is a must for me to have ?

Thanks a lot,

zayed

SQL built-in securityadmin or db_securityadmin roles would allow you to create new users…

BUT - in MSDN Microsoft warns that those roles grant:

The ability to grant access to the Database Engine and to configure user permissions allows the security admin to assign most server permissions. The securityadmin role should be treated as equivalent to the sysadmin role.

Practically it means, that if your company’s policy doesn’t allow SQL admin access for developers, you’ll never be granted this securityadmin role, too. It’s the second non-restrictive level after admin, moreover, it allows to control ALL security-related issues, which no DBA will let go out of his own hands.

I find these issues are often best addressed by moving NAV into its own dedicated SQL instance. Then the NAV administrators can have full control over that environment.