Urgent:Displaying of long text field in report

hi all, i have field of 200 length in database of text data type, now while displaying this field in report the whole text is not displayed even if i set multline property of that text box as yes

Try changing the size of the text box…invariably people tend to change the multiline property but forget to expand the size of the text box which will contain the text. so the textbox shows only that much text which fits into its specified size

quote:

Try changing the size of the text box…invariably people tend to change the multiline property but forget to expand the size of the text box which will contain the text. so the textbox shows only that much text which fits into its specified size
Originally posted by asinha - 2005 Mar 02 : 06:22:02

thanx ayan for responding, but still its not working even after expanding the size of textbox. Ayan can u suggest some other technique for tackling this issue.

I have tried it myself and its working perfectly fine…another thing you can do is to declare a text global for the report and assign the value of that field to the Global variable…be sure to specify the size of the global as more than 200 . then in the source expression of the text box give the source as the name of the global u have declared. If this dosent work then i cant think of another solution…best of luck

So, how did you try expanding the size of the TextBox? Horizontally or vertically?

That is in fact a good question. It mainly depends on the font you are using. For being sure that you print everything just enter 199 “W” into the field and a different character as last one. So you see if you get all. Maybe you need to have a space between the characters to give Navision the chance to do a wrap. “W” should be the widest character possible. In the end it depends on how much space you have left for that field on the report.

Then what is the use of multiline property?which basically expands the size of text box as per the value. To expand the text box horizonatlly or vertically…can be done…but how much to be expanded?

Using the MultiLine property does not by itself expand the text box in question. As per previous posts, all it really does is enable the text to wrap itself and place on a new line.

Just try increasing the height of the TextBox.

Well even if after expanding the size of textbox,what if the value in that textbox is small? It may happen that some values may be 150 character…some in 20 characters…if text box is expanded then the one with 20 characters…will dislpay unnecssary space in report… I think that multiline property itself should do the task…why there should be the need to expand a text box?

You could try your hand at writing your own word wrapping routine and then use an Integer DataItem to control the amount of lines that get shown from your wrapped text??

Additional If your value no space Multiline will have 1 line “aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa” will show 1 line “aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb” will show 2 line

Hello, One more option would be make 4 body section of the dataitem each holding a variable description[1],2,3 4 of length 50 on the presection depending upon the length of the DESCRIPTION field assign Description1 1-50 Description2 51-100 and accordingly make sections visible false and true. Hope this helps.