Upgrade exe vs db

I’m starting to plan my Navision upgrade. And I’m stuck on the 2 parts of the upgrade; exe and database. Could someone tell me what is in the executables vs the database. I am presuming that I will have to do a test upgrade and regression test on each of the 2 components. thanks Gary

Don’t get me wrong. I dont want to offend You, but I don’t think You should go into an upgrade if You can’t tell the difference between exe’s and the database. You can allways upgrade exe’s. These are the files on the client that runs the GUI and the the files on the server that takes care of the communication with the client and handles the database. You don’t need to upgrade the database to upgrade the exe’s. In the database You have all the data that must be converted to the (probably) somewhat changed data layout (new/changed tables) in the new version. The database also contains the objects (forms, table definitions, code etc) which take care of the business logic. Often there is modifications in objects to take care of when upgrading. Upgrading is often quite difficult. Even a database not modified should be upgraded by a professional in my opinion. If there is modifications in the database it is definitely a work for a developer to upgrade the database since modifications need to be moved or rewritten in the new version. Rgds //Lars

No offence taken. I’m new to Navision, and am still learning a LOT, or learning how much I do not know. :slight_smile: My reference point is SAP R/3 and I don’t know how Navision compares or is different from R/3. In R/3 the client and server executables are vastly different and the upgrade paths are different as well. You hit my question on the head. What I did not know was if any of the business logic was in the executables, or if it was all contained inside the db. Different applications design the different components (business application logic and data) to reside in different places. I will be working with my VAR to do the database upgrade. Although I’ll be very upset if a Navision upgrade is more complicated than an SAP R/3 upgrade. thanks much Gary

I don’t know about R/3 upgrades, but a Navision upgrade isn’t very complicated as long as You have done it a couple of times. But if You have a highly modified database which isn’t very well documented You and Your VAR will need to spend some time with preparations to figure out what has been done and what to upgrade and not. /Lars

quote:

You can allways upgrade exe’s.

Sure, but this might have impact on the functionality ! Often the behaviour of Navision is not the same in the new version, and this MAY cause mal-function in the database. ie. i remember that at som point the action returned when pressing esc in a look-up window changed. Therfore i also needed to make changes to the code. So there is now guarantee your system will work…

You’re right. In 3.something flowfiels in a list form started to behave differently. But it was almost true[:I]

quote:

Originally posted by Lars Westman
In 3.something flowfiels in a list form started to behave differently.

This particular issue was actually quite inconvenient at first. What makes these behaviour changes between C/SIDE executable versions worst is, IMHO, exactly the fact that they are usually very subtle. It is possible for some part of the application to behave slightly different but remain unnoticed for some time.