Understanding the license file behavior

I recently had to update our license file (FIN.FLF) on our Navision server. For some reason the Navision clients wasn’t updated with the new granules.

In the “Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Client” folder on the clients I could see that the old FIN.FLF file was located. So I deleted that file and the clients afterwards retrieved the new FIN.FLF from the server.

That leads me to some questions. :smiley:

1. What’s the use of the FIN.FLF file being copied to the client computer?
  2. Shouldn’t the server’s FIN.FLF file take precedence?
  3. Is the FIN.FLF file only checked when starting the Navision client?

Yes. And as the client connects to the server, it is the server’s license that becomes active. Actually you may have a CRONUS.FLF in client-folder.

Hi

1. What’s the use of the FIN.FLF file being copied to the client computer?

possibility to work on an offline copy but for day-to-day it’s not needed

2. Shouldn’t the server’s FIN.FLF file take precedence?

Yes, if Cronus but if a different license is detected it will use this. The reason for this is that a partner can connect with a development license

3. Is the FIN.FLF file only checked when starting the Navision client?

Correct unless you change it - Tool → License Information → change

When upgrading your license with additional users, you will also need to restart the server service as the license file is also notified by the server process only when starting the service.

So a good idea is it if you:

• Copy a new license to the server’s program folder (or upload to server when using sql)
  • Restart Server process

This will disconnect any Nav Client (or NAS) being connected and load the new license into the server process.
When a client (or NAS) reconnects to the server, it will automatically use the new license from the server - no matter which or if any license file is located in the local client program files folder.

Thank you all for your replies!

Please click on Verify Solution in the post(s) that answered your question…