Unable to create another database on the server at the client site

Hi all!

We try to create a new database for testing purposes but we couldnt. We follow the right procedure but when we try to choose the server we got a message" The TCP/Ip connection is not answering "even if manually we can get into

What can be the problem??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Are you setting up a native database server on the same box as the live server?

In that case, see that you are using a different port by editing the hosts and services file for your database server.

Are you using SQL or native database ?

Check firewall in computer.
Check if service is running.
If you are using native run netstat and see if service is listening.

Thanks all for help.

" Are you setting up a native database server on the same box as the
live server?" YES I am

Yes I am using different ports for the services, modified the hosts and services.

Basically the live is running,
I created the second service, modified the hosts and services files for the second service, when I run it manually (without putting it as a service) it works, but when I come to put it as a service (running on windows services), when I come to connect with the client, it gives me an error saying “cant gain access to d:…\database.fdb”

Thanks

Check if user that database service runs, has permissions to read/write to d:…\database.fdb

This error can be caused for a number of reasons. One of the common ones is as Nuno mentions about permission to the drive. Since D: is probably a local drive it is probably not, but in any case you should always install the Navision server logged in as Admin.

Another common cause of this error, is a misinterpretation of the file name. Firstly what is the actual error message. It could be that the “…” part of the “d:…\database.fdb” is thebit that counts, so please can you give the entire message.

Anyway, in some cases, the install process messes up if the database name has spaces in it, such as “D:\My Database Directory\database.fdb” you can find this out by looking at the registry entry where database.fdb is, an dsee if it “looks right”, ofeten you may see an entry such as ““D:\My Database Directory\database.fdb”” (that is two double quotes “” instead of one " ) this can be fixed with reg edit, BUT I have found that often if you have this error, you need to completely clean the registry before it will install, and if you already have a running Navision server on the machine, that is dangerous. But if you have no other solution, then here is how to fix it:

1. Uninstall any and ALL versions of Navision client on the machine.
  2. Uninstall any and ALL versions of Navision server on the machine.
  3. Use a registry cleaner to clean up any Navision registry entries.
  4. Manually search the registry and remove all references to Navision.
  5. Install Navision server using normal install process for your first server (the one that currently works).
  6. Copy the Navision server folder for the new server.
  7. Run Server.exe from the second server folder with all the appropriate parameters.
  8. stop the service
  9. run server.exe with the parameter “installasservice”
  10. Reboot and all should work.
  11. If so you can now install the Navision client.

Just one point: I have never seen this error happen unless the Client is installed on the server.

The above process is also used to fix an error that you can’t start the service with Commit cache enabled.

Oh, and in many cases, a quicker process than the above, is to format the C: drive and reinstall Windows Server.

The main permission issue here id the LogOn as for the service, rather than the UserID you install the program under.

But if one service is running and other is not then its not a permission issue, more likely a setup issue.

You should not have to start clearing out the registry etc… I’ve done this more times than I care to remember and never had to go that far, but then again I stand to be corrected.

If you issue is yet to be fixed, can you see if there are any other error messages related to this, such as in the Event Viewer?

/TH