The transaction log for database 'DB' is full.

Hi,

I am using nav 2009sp1 classic

I created new Database for Test.

And i restored the Live Db Backup.

While doing that i m getting the following error.

The following SQL Server error or errors occurred when accessing the Change Log Entry table:

[b][b]9002,“42000”,[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The transaction log for database ‘DB’ is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases

SQL:

INSERT INTO “TEST_DB_210513”.“dbo”.“NAV 9 16-12-10$Change Log Entry” WITH (REPEATABLEREAD) (“Entry No_”,“Date and Time”,“Time”,“User ID”,“Table No_”,“Field No_”,“Type of Change”,“Old Value”,“New Value”,“Primary Key”,“Primary Key Field 1 No_”,“Primary Key Field 1 Value”,“Primary Key Field 2 No_”,“Primary Key Field 2 Value”,“Primary Key Field 3 No_”,“Primary Key Field 3 Value”) VALUES (6966575,{ts ‘2012-04-05 07:40:53.907’},{ts ‘1754-01-01 13:10:53.907’},‘MURTHY’,27,7384,0,’’,‘Yes’,‘No.=92016-27-04/13-05’,1,‘92016-27-04/13-05’,0,’’,0,’’)

[/b][/b]

Hi ,

You need to extend the log datafile or set it to autogrow …

This is a DBA or MS-SQL task…

Google will help you .

g.

You can truncate the log file by using Shrink utility of SQL

Or

You can detach the database ,Delete the log file and then attach the data file again It will create new log file.

Amol, you should probably take a class about SQL Server, or read a book or something, because it is clear that you do not understand some basic principles.

The SQL Server shrink functionality DOES NOT truncate the log file, and detaching and deleting the log file is not the right way to solve this. To free up the content of the log file, you will need to do a log backup. For a test database that you don’t need to back up, you could also set the recovery model to Simple.

One thing on my mind …

Are you restoring to SQL Express ?

g.

As I replied to you on that other site (we all know which one), why use NAV backup/restore at all. If you use SQL to backup live and restore as a new DB, you won’t have this problem.

And it will be much faster.

I guess this questions refers to the SQL Express db-size limitations. But if that limit was exceeded, then a different error-message should be raised …

Hi Arul,

Did you get an answer to your question? Did it help you? The members and moderators here on DUG use our spare time and help you for free, all we ask in return is that you spent a few seconds to let us know if we helped you solve your problem.

If any of the suggestions helped you solve your question/problem, then please click the “Verify Solution” on the answer that helped you. This way we can see that your problem is now “resolved” and it will be able to guide other members with the same issue.

Otherwise let us know how if there is something else you like to know.

Have a nice day! [:)]

these few simple tricks will get you going:

1. backup your AX DB, given that AX is having this issue.
  2. if this is a test or dev DB you might want to set the recovery mode to simple

• ALTER DATABASE AX
    • SET RECOVERY SIMPLE
  3. run this code to find out trans log file name
    • USE AX- SELECT name- FROM sys.database_files- WHERE type_desc = ‘LOG’
  4. run DBCC SHRINKFILE (‘AX_log’, 1000). This will shrink it down to 1GB.