tcp/ip communication line shut down

We are getting an error we can’t find. The error message is: The other end of the TCP/IP communication line has shut down the connection. Try to start the session again, or get help from the system manager. We have a 2000 server and XP work stations. All work stations are new, but this is only happening ocassionally. It has been isolated to two stations, but today it happened on a third. Any ideas? Thank

First guess would be that it is some kind of network problem. Is Navision the only network program where you are getting these errors? How large is your network? Are these 2/3 computers connected to the same network segment? Surely, someone on this forum will have a few better suggestions than me but it’s a start [:)]

Yes, Navision is the only program this happens to. We have 18 stations on our network. We log into an NT4.0 server, but Navision in on a Server 2000 by itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Ralph, can you “restart” the session without any further error messages? As the Navision client is communicating with the Navision Server directly I guess you have a problem with the “AliveTime” of the IP packets. Search the forum for “KeepAliveTime” and try to set this parameter on you W2K server. Kind regards Walter

KeepAliveTime won’t help you. You have network cable problems at the clients’ end or a hub/switch problems. Try replacing the cables. The cable at the server should be okay, if not all clients would be effected.

I got the same effect as above after using a “Lan Optimizer” which tries to optimize some values in registry. After setting these values back, the effect is gone.

hi ralph, could be a couple of things, you will need to provide more information. if it is just the one client that disconnects, abd the server keeps going, then it is probably a crc error. probably due to a faulty net card or hub.