SQL Replication and Navision V2.50

Hi everyone, Basically, this is the problem… We have two SQL Servers - one has a Navision DB on it, the other doesn’t. I’ve moved a newly created table out of the Navision DB and put it on the other server (generated SQL Scripts). I then use MS SQL Replication to replicate the table back into the Navision DB. It’s a long story as to why we are doing it this way - but that’s what we’re trying to do. Anyways, all Navision tables have a timestamp column (which is a “TimeStamp” data type in SQL). When we replicate these - they end up having a “binary” data type in SQL. Hence, after the table replicates from the other SQL Server - back into the Navision DB - Navision doesn’t like it - and says “this table does not have a timestamp”. If I change the datatype from binary back to “timestamp” - Navision is happy, but then replication fails! Any ideas how we can get around this? I will be trying to impliment views to overcome this - but maybe there is a code fix? or something? Andre Rencontre BCompSci, MCSE HLB Mann Judd Victoria, Australia

Hi Andre Bottom line: You can’t replicate timestamp data types. Reason: SQL Server maintains the column all by it self (you can’t write to a timestamp column), so when you try to replicate (write) to the timestamp column you will get the error. The timestamp data type was introduced to optimise update queries, so that SQL Server would only have to look at the timestamp value to detect if a record had changed. If you want to replicate a NF table you will have to make a partial replication consisting of all the columns except for the timestamp value. When making the replication SQL Server will automatically put in values for the timestamp value. These values will of course not be identical with the original values, but that doesn’t matter since they are not used except for internal use… Having done this, you will probably face another problem and that is the naming convention that are used in NF. The replication mechanism doesn’t like the $ notation… If you are able to get through with it, then please let me know… the problem does not exist with SQL Server 2000. Best Regards, Søren Pedersen

I indeed have done it! Basically, created some tables on another server - replicated those tables to the Navision database on another server. Created a view (with name $ - went into Navision and created the Navision equivalent, Navision says “SQL Object already exists, would you like me to point to this?” - in which I clicked “OK” - and voila, replicated data inside Navision.

Hi, Be carrefully about upgrade from SQL 7 into SQL 2000. I had working instalation on SQL 7 on test computer. Yesterday i upgrade SQL 7 into SQL 2000. Navision doesn’t work. Get error about code pages not fit client and server. But before it was good. Both computers are Win2000.

SQL 2000 ??? The last version I’ve heard of was 7, have I missed 1993 releases of Microsoft’s SQL :slight_smile: On a more Serious note what’s SQL 2000 ? Is it an upgrade for Microsoft SQL 7.0 ? tarek_demiati@ureach.com

Yes, SQL2000 is the upgrade we all needed! :wink: My word of warning, be very carefull when you upgrade from SQL7 to SQL2000. Enterprise Manager was not able to attach to a cluster properly, couldn’t un-install - had to re-install the entire machine (this is one of our clients experiences). ps. SQL2000 is not in “final” release yet, so we’ve all got some time to breath easily.