SKU Card (Components at Location"

Hi There, Please could someone clear this up for me as I have spent the last three weeks waiting for Navision to explain what the “Components at location” is and how it is intended to work. To date I am still without a clear answer but need to know ASAP as it may have project implications. A quick response would be most appreciated. Cheers

Hi I believe as standard the components or a production BOM are consumed at the location of the production order (you will note unlike other systems no location exists on the BOM). However with the adoption of SKU’s in 3.60 this changed slightly. If you produce a production order at Location X and in the SKU card for this item it has the components at location set to Location Y, the item will be produced at Location X but the components will be consumed from location Y. Please test this as it is a while since I went through it! [:D]

As I have tried it,It goes this way (3.60): Componenets at Location generate a requirement of all the lower level componenets at the specified Location. When you have SKUs also defined for the same/Any other locations, The system either orders for the SKU at that Location or generated transfer orders from any other locations specified in the SKUs as per the defined routes. Hope this suffices. Regards, DD

Thanks for your reply, do you have any documentation you could email me perhaps with an example so that I am absolutely clear. Many Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by dharmendra
As I have tried it,It goes this way (3.60): Componenets at Location generate a requirement of all the lower level componenets at the specified Location. When you have SKUs also defined for the same/Any other locations, The system either orders for the SKU at that Location or generated transfer orders from any other locations specified in the SKUs as per the defined routes. Hope this suffices. Regards, DD

This works OK but our problem is that we are using a production line where each bay needs to be a different location. The production BOM will be made up of components that need to be taken from these different bays. Thanks for your efforts so far.

quote:

Originally posted by Icarus
Thanks for your reply, do you have any documentation you could email me perhaps with an example so that I am absolutely clear. Many Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by dharmendra

Hi Andrew No specific standard documentation on this area exists - you can get documentation on reordering, but this falls into the standard training documentation issued to those who attend the classes. You can have a white paper on manufactuirng in 3.70, but this will not give you any specifics and may not even cover components at location, as it takes a more generalised none product orientated stance at times. The only real way is to run it through yourself.

Hi Andrew I was answering the documentation question - none exists, unless you would require the white paper?

I also have a similar problem at my current site, if someone could help me. 1. WHM and SKU granule is not there. 2. I have a logical bifurcations of my Stores (i.e Different logical locations). And different BoM items are at different locations. Now when I plan thru planning worksheet it considers inventory at the location of Sales Order. Please advice.

Hi Devinder If you do not have the SKU granule and you are running planning routines the planned replenishment works as follows - Sales demand on Locaiton “x” therefor the production order will need to be completed at location “x” and as no SKU exists the components will need to be at location “x” to fulfill the requirement of the production order. The only way around this without the stockkeeping granule is to modify it (but why when a standard solution exists?[:D]), or of course to manually check all locations when a replenishment is required [:(!].

Dear Steven, OK I buy the argument of having SKUs. But should not it happen that the system ask if the inventory location is nettabe or not and all the items at all the nettable locations take part in planning, which is not the current case. See it sometimes becomes necessary to give logical locations within one physical location (or many physical stores within a geographical location within a premises some distance away), particularly when Quality Control is involved and also without WMS i can’t have floating bin inventory control. I hope I have conveyed it properly. May be u might have encountered such a problem. Reply Awaited Thanks in advance & Regards

Hi Devinder As with all systems you work with what you have got. If the system provides a solution, and it fits you take it, if it does not you either change your processes, or change the system. Assuming you have logical grounded processes I would not advocate changing the processes for the sake of the system, so a modification is developed. You are absolutely correct about the logical locations within physical locations, and in this manner Navision allows the locations to be fulfilled by a transfer order, with locations having reorder policies set by location. The general reason components in most systems are not nettable as standard across all locations is due to the nature of locations - I have one customer with sites in the UK, USA and Thailand, in this case looking at all locations and not being told in the UK that you need to buy raw material because Thailand or the USA have stock is not relevant. However if the need arose for this form of demand planning I would ask for an alteration to the code. There are many many arguments around the world about what should and should not be included from a functional perspective in Navision, and many have been outstanding for 15 years! An all location or one location flag on the worksheet would be useful, especially to the percentage that understand the system [:D]. You will have to request it through your NTR - assuming it was not asked for years ago. With regards to the floating Bin control, depending upon your definition of this you should look at 3.70. Bins have been removed from WMS and you can have bin associated transactions. A case of the users requests eventually being implemented in this respect.