Shipping Non Inventory Items

Has anyone figured out a way to send Items though the system that are not inventory Items. For instance we want to send some to a customer through the system for trackability but do not want to create an Item card. Kevin Arhcer

If you want to skip all financial matters also, use Text lines (leave Type blank). If you want to charge something, make it an G/L Account line. Not really elegant, but workable. John

You can also use Resources as non-stock items.

Just curious: why DON’T YOU want to create an item record for certain items? It’s not that hard to create a new item, it seems to me… Anyway, I second the suggestion about using G/L Accounts. The NSC where I used to work (until I got fed up and quit last month) had a client who did this a lot, especially when they were buying stuff directly for a job. Yeah, I know they taught us in Enterprise class to do a Drop Shipment in this situation— but buying and selling G/L Accounts is simpler (especially when our trainer didn’t get around to teaching our customer’s key employees how to do Drop Shipments during the initial training sessions…) The idea about using Resources is an interesting one which i had never though about before. The downside to this approach is that you do have to create a Resource card (but the upside is that you don’t have to create an Item card!) ------- Tim Horrigan

Hi, Creating a dummy item, or using G/L accounts could influence the profit margin. You can only change the cost price of the item while using ressources. If you use a G/L account, your profit margin will always be 100 % ! If you use a dummy item, you will have to use the fixed costprice, and change it everytime you use this item… Regards, Philippe http://surf.to/pvg

That’s true: the profit margin on the G/L Account for the sale would always be 100%. The customer I was talking about usually entered the cost of their purcahses through the job journal (though sometimes they used purchase invoices or the payment journal.) We modified the sales posting routines so that all sales had to be linked to a job. When you buy a G/L Account from a vendor for a particular job and sold it to a customer for that same job, you do end up with a profit or loss figure which is reasonably valid… ------- Tim Horrigan

Try to use the Non-Stock granule within the Adv. Distribution database. This allows an easier way to record items that the user wants to keep separate from the regular inventory. The nice thing is that if you ever do desire to start stocking the item, you will have a record of all the transactions that were associated and therefor more information on necessary inventory levels and usage amounts on the item.

We created one item card with the code S/O for anything that we don’t stock. It’s always done as a drop-ship, pulled onto a requisition worksheet, converted to a P.O., etc. Since the purchase receipt, sales invoice, and purchase invoice are posted at the same time, the inventory level remains at zero. It’s also handy for looking up something someone wants to reorder; you check the item ledger entries just like you would for any other item.

Muzzy Dawg, the way non-stock works in Adv. Dist. (as it was explained to me by Navision anyway) was that it still creates an item the first time you use a non-stock item. So you might as well create an item in the first place. The non-stock feature is only useful if you have a massive catalogue of items that you may or may not use. You load them all in and then real items get created as you need them.

Our resolve was to create a shipping resource. Customer Service enters a sales order with the resource and put text lines in to explain to shipping what needs shipped. Now catalogs and such can be shipped without creating item ledger entries. KEVIN A ARCHER

We use resources for Shipping as well as Lab work (We’re a photographic retailler that also maintains a minilab). We use Work Type to further breake it down (next day shipping or processing, 2nd day shipping, etc.) It’s worked well.

an addition to the original question by Kevin Archer: being a production company, using bills of material, we do have a certain number of general items, which are not included in the bill of material, and therefore will not be reduced from stock balance, when finalizing the production order. These items can be piece of electrical wire, piece of tube etc However, we want to purchase these items, using the purchasing system, so we have a recording of when, quantity, supplier and price, even we do not want to stock the item. To day we make a manual adjustment of the stock to zero for these items, but it would be an easier way, if you had the possibility of marking the item card, that this item is for direct consumption and not for stock fh

Can’t you just use 1 Item for it as proposed?, Just ignore it from your inventory costing, by setting the “Invenory Value Zero” on the Item. You can let the user key in the cost when selling it in the “Unit Cost(LCY)” in your Sales Order to get the “correct estimated profit”. It is not perfect but atleast it is allready there in the standard system. Best regards/Med vänlig hälsning/Kveðja/Med venlig hilsen/Mit freundlichen Grüssen Johan Emilsson