Security Login for Navision

Hi All,

Prior to my last thread, i would like to check with you all experts whether for Navision, can we check the last login for the users? We will need to track those dormant and active accounts so that we can remove them if they are not in used.

Last but not least, any Standard Operating Procedures from you all for user account security that you have implemented in Navision that you can share? Thanks

Just tick the option “Track User Time” which will create a record each day the user logs in with the number f minutes they are logged in for.

anybody have any solution?

Solution supplied by David will solve your problem.

Hi David, where do i tick the option for “Track User Time”? I am using ver 3.7 , by the way does that means that i will be able to know the user ID Last Login? is for our audit purposes, as we need to know which account had been “dormant” for a period of time so that we can disable them… and understand that we can’t disable in Navision so we have to do it in SQL level as not to let the user access the database from the SQL. Am i right on the steps to disable the account or u have a better way?

By the way, anyone have any suggestion or solutions to enhance the security for Navision for the user accounts in term of access control, strong password, etc…

You have that option in General Ledger Setup

What about using windows login for your users instead of database login? This will help you to put rules into passwords.

The field is called “Register Time”. Here is the information from the standard help:

Register Time Field
The General Ledger Setup Table

Here you can specify whether the program will register the user’s time usage. Place a check mark in the field if you want the program to register time for each user.

The program can use the User Time Register table to register how much time an individual user spends on the companies. When there is a check mark in the Register Time field, the program automatically enters information (about the user ID, date and number of minutes worked) in the User Time Register table each time the user leaves the program. The time is registered in whole minutes, so periods can be rounded up or down by as much as 30 seconds.

If you have specified a different setting in the User Setup table then the setup in the User Setup table will overrule this general setting.

You can review the information about your users in NAV 3.70 at: General Ledger - Setup - Users - User Time Registers

i was thinking of that also, but some of our retailer are not connected to our domain therefore we have no choice but to use database login instead. So i assume that there is no other way to tighten the security if we are using database login?

Thanks, Jorge. Saw that option, and nw trying out for one of the users, just to check under GL - Setup - Users - User Register, i must insert the login name inside in order to see the login time? Thanks.

No, a record for each user for each day will be created. The record is written/updated when you close Navision. After enabling the time register should also close and re-open Navision.

You could provide/assign strong passwords to the users and in security setup remove the rights for users to change the password by removing system object 5830 from their permission setup. Normally this setup is done in the role ALL. Because there is no standard way to force them to change the password frequently you (assuming your are the one administrating permissions) could assign new passwords to them frequently.

One of my clients have the same issue.
They’ve created windows-logins for all users that are connected to the domain, and database-logins for external consultants (accountant etc.).
Then they use the expiration-date to disable/enable the accounts whenever the consultant in question is inhouse.

Thanks Joerg, I was in a hurry, and just couldn’t remember the correct name.

in user setup (form 119)

what is the function if “Register Time” we tick mark ??

From online help:

Here you can specify whether the program will register the user’s time usage. Place a check mark in the field if you want the program to register time for this user.
The program can use the User Time Register table to register how much time an individual user spends on the companies. When there is a check mark in the Register Time field, the program automatically enters information (about the user ID, date and number of minutes worked) in the User Time Register table each time the user leaves the program. The time is registered in whole minutes, so periods can be rounded up or down by as much as 30 seconds.

do you know in what table it save for temporary (user time register)?

i want to block the user who in session, so that he/she couldn’t login more than once in one time