Sales Order Statistic

I just found this issue not long time ago. It looks simple but it creates a critical mistake in our operation for many years and eventually misleading our analysis. I hope you guys aware and not repeating our mistake. I want to raise this issue and get advice from expert in this forum. Apologize if this topic has been posted before. If you are using average costing method, the Cost ($) and Profit ($) in Sales Order Statistic (form 10038) is not calculated by location but from the average cost as overall; which is wrong if your costing is setup by location. In the past, we had used this screen to see the profit margin and decided whether or not we will take/accept the order from the customers. We have been practiced this wrong concept for years until I found the information is not valid if your costing is by location. We are under 3.60. I asked them to stop to use this screen until I got a clear answer from this forum. I have contacted our NSC; he said the system was designed that way and a standard Navision and it’s a major and complicated modification if we still decided to have this screen calculated by location. For me, it’s not a prompt answer. It is a big question for me, why the system was designed like that? Any add on granule to solve this issue? I am highly appreciating for any help. Thanks, Zen

Another example is Calculating the cost of items with production bom’s and/or routings… SKU’s are not taken into account.

Hhm…I am wondering why there is no response from the experts in this forum, meanwhile I am waiting day by day. Is the topic not interested to be discussed or probably it’s out of date? [8)] Zen

The “Cost ($)” field on Form 10038 is the sum of “Unit Cost (LCY)” for all sales lines om the order. The “Profit ($)” field is the difference between the sum of “Amount (LCY)” and “Cost ($)”. The SalesLine.“Unit Cost (LCY)” field’s value is set when the order is created. If an SKU exist, the value is set to SKU.“Unit Cost”. If no SKU exist, the value is set to the Item.“Unit Cost”. This cost may be different than the cost of the positive ledger entry to which the sale is applied. If you are looking to change this behavior, I think changing the way in which the SalesLine.“Unit Cost (LCY)” field’s value is calculated would be a simpler approach. See the function GetUnitCost on table 37.

I replied to this post (or maybe one similar to it) some time ago, and maybe it got lost somewhere during the reacent server issue thing. Basically Zen, your NSC should have told you this during the implementation phase of Navision. Navision has worked like this for as Long as I have been using it (15 years). The cost is not actually Average cost, its is derived from Unit Cost ont he item card (which may actually be average costs, but that is a differnent issue). During your implementation process, you should have discussed this with your NSC, and they would normally have designed a mod to give you the numebrs that you want. It would not be too late now to have them do this. I think that Cost Control Software have an Add-On that handles this.

Thank you babrown, I will explore your explanation. It’s a long story David. Basically, I am just receiving the torch and have to continue the run. Zen