Rollout of NAV 2009 Sp1 on SQL Option - network errors problem

Hi all!

I am rolling out NAV 2009 Sp1 on an Xp Sp3 Dell machine Optiplex 360 with 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, a 5300 2.6Ghz Dual Core processor. All the install goes fine but the connection fails both to the SQl and Navision Database servers. Ideally I wanted the SQL but can start with proprietary Nav DB Server.

I get the error that: "The network is not functioning correctly. A packet has been corrupted and returns a checksum error. This error indicates that the network is not completely reliable. Note how often this type of error occurs. Contact your system administrator"

This error appears even if I run the client installed on the server machine, which makes me think it has nothing to do with the network. I need some help. Could it be a general windows error message?

Optional Thought:

To beat client’s deadline, I wanted to instead go with 5.0 and move on to 2009 when the issue is resolved. My worry is about moving the posted data to the new system. The client will be using basic financial management with RTC and document approvals with remote access (the very reason I need SQL Server).

My issues here are: I think I will then need to do some upgrade of sorts. How complex is this? Can I just do a backup restore? What problems do I anticipate if I run a 6.0 Client on a 5.0 DB? What about when it comes to rolling out RTC?

And about the server, can I roll out on SQL 2005 Express without any other limitations other than the space limitation of 4GB. I thought we can move later once the client has purchased an SQL 2005 server license.

Waiting to hear from you,

Thanks

How do you figure that?

I have seen this error often, and it was always exactly as it says on the tin “a network error”.

The thing is what exactly are you doing here. This machine is not a server. Do you mean you installed the client on this machine and got the error when you connected to the server?

None of this makes a lot of sense.

Thanks David!

I have installed the NAV Server on this XP computer. Ii have also installed the client. So since I get the same error when I try to connect client to server on the same computer, that is why I concluded may be it has nothing to do with network.

Then the desciption in bold is provided by the computer in the error message, so it is not me commenting on reliability.

Hope this clarifies things.

I realise I did not give my feed back. I changed the network connection type to TCPS and everything works. If I switch it back to TCP, error bounces back. Client has been working since then, although we later changed the server OS to Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks.