Roles/User Permissions/List of table references

I’m looking for a way to be able to get a list out from a form telling me what tables that form referres to. This would be a great help in the process of seting up Roles. After logging in and out 350 times just to find out that I’ve completed 5% of the needed permissions, I’m about to give up. I’am awere that the table name can be listed on field level under properties in form design, but that is just as time consuming as loggin in/out. The data is there so there must be a way to get them listed out some how, please anyone I’m desperat !

Ask your NSC for allowing you to use impulse workbench… it will help you on that… another tricky way is allowing the users access to all tables (table 0 (at least read and execute)) and restricting what forms they are able of using. Regards Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

Use the Client Monitor to record the operations, and tables, used during a task - e.g. opening a form. Then base your permissions on that.

You should consider if form permissions are really necessary. If you can live with table permissions, then try that. Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Software development today is a race between the programmers trying to make better and more foolproof programs, and the universe trying to make bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

If I use form permmissions then I would tend to relax the table permissions more, you create too much work for yourself. You will never ever get permission right and the tighter you try and make things the worse it gets as somebody always wants something taht you have not given them. Lars is right about table permissions, but form/report permissions is often the level that most users require. You will often get difficult users who “need” special permission I tend to set each up in there own group and give the extra permissions as thae require (Complain) them. Paul Baxter

Thanks for your sugestions. My only chance is to control users by forms giving them read access to all tables which is what I started off with. We are three countries that will start up on a common system in may/june (NF 2.60) and we’ve got aprox. 500 users which will be classified into groups. Since these users are sales people in shops and different groups of back office users we do need to have a strikt profile regarding permissions, and NF is not buildt for that and I’m suprised that it doesn’t seam to get any better in comming versions either. There should really be an alternative way of setting permissions, that’s my opinion, this is a job for “horses”. I will check out some of the abowe sugestions and see what I can come up with. Thanks to all of you who took the time to replay to may little “blowout”.

The thing is permissions aren’t something that you can get right first time. It takes time to refine them and eventually get them exactly how you want them. Good luck.