Renaming Dimension (Non Global) Impact?

Hi,

We found our dimensions names too long and wanted to rename them. We did it for a few companies already, but small ones. We have one company with a huge amount of entries in table 355 Ledger Entry Dimension (120 Millions) and since we had to export the content of this table into many txt files (following a disk I/O error) using a dataport I thought I could take this opportunity to rename the dimensions codes before reloading the table. My plan is to:

1. Rename the dimensions codes in my live database (C/Side, only about 50,000 records) using the normal procedure (Changing the code in the dimensions screen)

2. Edit the txt files and rename the dimensions codes

3. Load the txt files into my live database

I’ve checked the process of renaming dimensions codes and it seems to update only records in table 355 (because it’s the TableID and EntryNo that refers to other tables) but I’m not sure if there is an impact on the Global Dimensions 1 & 2, which I guess are managed separetely. I just need a confirmation on that point.

Thanks for your input

Nicolas

I would always refrain my self from doing so playing with posted entries with dimension values.

But in any case u will loose the history on document display e.g. on posted document formats etc u wont see new value it will still show u old values (means name).

By the time u r doing this for only shortcut dimension 3 onwards it won’t do any harm.

But if u have decided to go ahead don’t take so much pain. Open the table and press Ctrl+H. Fill in the old value(name) and new value(name) it works like excel. Do this after opening new dimension value i mean name here.

may be i did not catch the complexity behind.

in simple way, what if you use report. having the report runs for each records, you can put your codes in OnAfterGetRecord() and the renaming effort will be by process and unattended.

Try this way:

1. Set global dimensions 1 and 2 to BLANK in the GL setup table
  2. Rename the dimensions codes in my live database (C/Side, only about 50,000 records) using the normal procedure (Changing the code in the dimensions screen)
  3. Edit the txt files and rename the dimensions codes
  4. Load the txt files into my live database
  5. Add the Global Dimensions back again.

Navision has a routine that will scan all the dimensions and updates the shortcut 1 and 2 fields in all the tables, so you don’t need to write any code for this.

Hi all,

I learned that there are other considerations to take care of, such as table 359 Posted Document Dimension and also the Unposted transactions that contains the dimensions codes (and the value) so I better stick to the conventional renaming of dimension if I don’t want to get into integrity troubles, especially when dealing with hundred of million of records…

Thanks to all, case closed for me!