RENAME to Blank

My customer has used a default value for the location table. Instead I’m recommending him to use “blank” instead of the default value. Often he’s forgetting to set the value when printing etc. and thus giving problems. I now thought that I could simply RENAME the location code field to “blank”. But the system will not allow me to do so. Any other suggestions? Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

Have you tried both programatically and just using the system? Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

Yes I tried both ways.

Why not just tying the location name to their login…to automatically populate this when they process orders? This is the same approach recommended for Navision Adv. Distribution.

Take a look at the setup of Inventory. Perhaps the “Location mandatory” is activated. At this moment the Location code Blank is no good

Wouldn’t having transactions under a Location be almost the same as transactions under Customers, Vendors, Items, G/L Accounts, etc.? I believe once you post under the Location, it will not allow you to change it. I, too, think your best bet is to use the Default Location under User Setup. Regards! Kristopher Webb Kelar Corporation, Canada

Navision will allow you to Rename a key field (Location, Customer, etc.). It actually goes through all the table relations and renames the entry every where. This would be independant of any of these flags. The only restriction seems to be the one Erik ran into…You can’t rename it to blank. This restriction seems to be at a level beyond where we can get (We can’t see the code that searches the tables and renames the value). Erik, I think your only option would be to determine all the tables that have a Table Relation to Location (including protected tables) and change the value to blank. This is dangerous and will only work if there are no Open negative Item Ledger Entries. I would not go this route unless you were extremely experienced (which I believe you are) and it was an absolute requirement. Chris.

Chris, I think you’re right. As much as I would love to do this then it’s not possible. I’m going to use the Development Tool to find all relations to the Location table and do an update here. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

quote:

Originally posted by Kristopher: Wouldn’t having transactions under a Location be almost the same as transactions under Customers, Vendors, Items, G/L Accounts, etc.? I believe once you post under the Location, it will not allow you to change it. I, too, think your best bet is to use the Default Location under User Setup.

Normally I would say: yes you’re right. But in this case I think it’s a matter of correcting a wrong code. They created a location code called INVENTORY whereas this code is not really needed. A blank would be just as good. It’s their default code. Does anyone know if there should be any reason for keeping the code otherwise (warehouse management etc.)? Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

Deleting the Code would obvious remove the hook into the database. The database test function would complain, and its possible that certain reports would fail if the don’t properly protect GET calls.

The database test will not give problems as long as you receive it everywhere where the relation is used - only if you JUST delete it in the code in the location table.