Release Sales Order Picking

I am having trouble interpreting the following. On the one hand we have “no automatic reservation” for an item - i.e. Manual Reservations have been selected in Sales Order Header. But When we release sales order picking a Reservation is applied. Does it need to be?

I am thinking of situations where the choice of a batch will be arbitrary - and I don’t want all the batches reserved to the wrong sales orders. (I think I understand why reserving is in principle a good idea, but in practice it is a nuisance)

The Hot Fix offered here gets everything reserved. I would prefer a Hot Fix that reserves nothing at this point.

Here is all the detail:

support.microsoft.com/…/2598492

“The system cannot reserve the second partial quantity after the system reserves the first partial quantity in a release sales order picking in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 Service Pack 1”

“Assume that you create a sales order that contains no automatic reservation for an item in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 Service Pack 1 (SP1). You create a release sales order picking to pick first partial quantity. In this situation, when you process the first partial quantity in the “activate now” status, the system reserves the quantity physically as expected. However, after you post the picking list for the first quantity, the system cannot reserve the second partial quantity in the “activate now” status. Additionally, when the second partial quantity is updated, the quantity is in the “picking list not reserved” status. Therefore, the item cannot be reserved.”

TIA, George

When you “activate” the orders on the release sales order picking form, a reservation is performed. This should be somewhat helpful, though, because the release for picking should only happen right before the material is picked.

It can be a pain, though, when there’s a batch that’s difficult to find or something. This is why the picking list registration can be used to update the actual batch consumed when it’s picked.