regarding the Item Posting groups.

Hi,

I have a query regarding the Item Posting groups.

That means I have a item = Pen . This item we purchased for sale and for Office purpose. I assigned Gen. Product posing group and Inventory Posting group.

That item costing method = Average.

What my client problem is if he purchase that item for sale that item posting groups will take automatically in purchase line.

If he purchase for Office purpose then he wants to change That posting groups that separate accounts has to effecting G/L.

So what is the best method to change that Posting groups when he purchasefor Office purpose.

Please share your valuable experience and solution.

Thanks and regards

The inventory posting group affects the stock, it is item related and the value is probably correctly assigned to the system, if this is not I would create a new item and purchase it with a vendor item number specified and posting to different groups. I may also adopt this for the general product posting group, but you can bring this onto the line and amend it, just test the ramifications. The inventory product posting group is always referenced against the item and never changes, so it is not on the purchase line table. You could also consider dimensions for purpose, and amending it for office use if you wanted.

As Adam suggested, I have implemented the modification of putting the Gen. Prod. Posting Group in at line level and it works a treat. If you need a different inventory posting group as well then the mods are more substantial and involves changeing posting codeunits. This is where I normally get nervous and ask why? There is probably only a few items that this is needed for, so having two item numbers is a better solution as no mods are needed. You could develop a item copier if the customer is worried about data entry.