Purchase order committed cost in Project

Hi All

I have created the purchase order from the item requirement of the Project and confirm the PO but its amount is not showing in the Committed cost for few purchase order. Even i tries to generate the committed cost from the periodic but no cost generated. Also i checked the setup part and the following details:

All the PO’s are confirmed.

a) In the parameters purchase order option is checked marked.

b) Purchase order is linked from the project as it is created from the project item requirement

c) In the PO line details project categories are mapped.

As we are creating the purchase orders from the item requirement may be due to that it is not generating the committed cost because i checked with the PO creation from the item task and it is working fine.

Also while checking i found the committed cost generated for non-stocked items only.

I am using AX 2012 R2 CU7, please advise how to fix this issue in the future and how i can generate the committed cost these PO’s.

Thanks in advance.

Can you provide screenshots or a video so we can catch up with what you are doing?

Thanks Kwen for your reply.

I can tell u the steps i have done, i have created one project of Fixed price- percentage completion, then i went to plan tab, item requirement create the new line enter item, qty and the project category then from function button click “create purchase order”, one window opened where i select the vendor and click on OK. Once the PO created i confirm it and when i check on the committed cost from committed cost form i didn’t find the committed cost generated. Before creating the PO in the project parameter i have already check mark the committed cost generated for Purchase order.

As i already mentioned in my previous post that while investigating the issue i found the committed cost generated for non-stocked items only.

Please guide, thanks in advance.

It’s a little confusing, but my understanding is that the commitments values on reports and screens is based on the PO HEADER’s project ID matching the project, regardless of whether the individual lines on the PO charge to that project. If you create the PO from within the project using the menu ribbon there, this is populated by default. If you manually create a PO, this is not populated by default but you can still do it manually so that it is included in commitments.

I personally think this is a buggy design, that it should be filtering/matching based on the PO line, not the PO header, but that’s probably not something anyone at MS is going to be addressing.

P.S.–regarding the non-stock only comment, that’s not exactly true. Normally stocked items are posted using regular inventory posting process, meaning receipt debits inventory and credits accrual. That will happen whenever the consumption project and activity fields on the PO line are empty. If you fill in those lines, which does not normally happen when creating PO lines from a project window, then the project posting will override inventory posting, the receipt will debit the project ledger as an item journal instead of the company inventory account, and while the PO is open, as I noted above, if the HEADER on the PO also includes the project ID, then the item/line will count towards the commitment cost calculations.

Thanks Chan Stevens for your reply.

i checked with all the PO pertaining to the project and all the PO’s either of stocked or non stocked are having the Project ID field filled in and also even the PO lines are having the project ID.

In your above post i believe you are telling the posting profile at the time invoicing and the PO created from the “item task”. As per the requirement of the client they want to incurred the cost of the item (Stocked item) in the project at the time of receiving the material, so i suggest them to create the PO from the “Item requirement” so that at the time of receiving they can consume it in the project at the same time of receiving the material.

Now when i am creating PO for stocked item from the “Item requirement” committed cost didn’t generated but it i am creating the PO for the same item from “item task”, committed cost generated fine.

To clarify, when you say “Project ID field filled in”, there’s a difference between whether the PO header record has this information filled in and whether the individual PO lines have this information filled in, since the project ID field exists at both levels. When you create a PO from the project using the item task button, I am sure the PO header’s project ID field gets filled in, and think (but am on the the road and don’t have AX up at the moment) that the PO lines are also populated with project ID. When you run a commitments report, the report only looks at whether the PO header’s project ID is filled in, does not care about the lines.

When you post a receipt, the PO line is what dictates whether the costs post to the project immediately or to the inventory account (and presumably later transfer to the project when issued or shipped). So it’s possible, when manually or through MRP creating a PO, for the line to charge financially to a project, but if the header is not tied to the project, the PO will not be included in the commitment report.

Project Id field is filled in at both header and line level, also the PO is in confirmed state.

Please suggest some solution

I’m not sure what you mean by creating a PO via “item requirement” since that’s a DEMAND record, not a SUPPLY record, but I’m guessing what you wind up with is an MRP-generated PO in response to the item requirement, and when firming that planned purchase order you get what I refer to as a regular PO or manually created PO.

As I’d said, for a PO for an item to make the commitment report, the project ID and activity fields on the PO HEADER need to match the project. This happens automatically when you create using item tasks within the project. This does not happen automatically when using MRP-planned or manual orders, but you can populate this when creating the order. You say you have PO’s with this populated that are not making the report, and I don’t believe that’s accurate. I believe you’re either confusing the PO line record’s header view with the PO header itself. Either that, or you’re comparing a PO for one product created via item task to a different PO for a different product created via “item requirment” whatever that means, in which case the problem could very well be something wrong with the product setup, not the process.

I am creating the project PO’s from the item requirement (create the line, define the project category and activity and from functions create PO), the reason of creating the PO from item requirement is, i want to incurred the cost in the project at the time of receiving the material (product Receipt )not invoicing.

We are not using the MRP nor creating the PO manually. As you were telling there is something wrong in the product configuration but when i create the PO from the Item task, committed cost captured properly after confirming the PO, if there is problem in the product configuration then also i will act the same, it will not capture the committed cost.

Are the two PO’s you’re describing both for the same product? Are they associated to the same project AND activity AND category? In particular, you mention setting the project category when using the item requirement/function/create PO path but did not mention setting the project category when using the item task/create PO path. If you are changing product or activity or category, you are very likely affecting which posting profile is being used, and this in turn will affect whether it hits the project ledger upon receipt versus upon voucher processing, as well as whether it shows up in the commitments report.

i am creating all the project purchase orders through item requirement forms, and on the item requirement form itself i am defining the activity and the category which automatically inherited by the purchase order line when we create the purchase order. And after purchase order created we are not changing activity or the category.