Production order routing

Dear All, I need your help to let me know the answers of my problems below as follows: 1. What is the function of critical path in the production order routing, that usually begin checked in the second operation in a production order routing and for a certain work center that has 3 machines consolidated to it but the machines consumed by one production order but located in the different routing ? And also I wonder why the critical path is checked by system only for machine center that has higher run time than 2 others after I drill down production order need amount field in the work center card? 2. Could you let me know where the field menu of output journal located ? I know the table is a source of a form but for some specifics forms like the output journal has no table. How to create such a journal ? 3. I Would also like to find out if anyone has implemented Navision manufacturing in a Kanban environment. 4. What is the function and how they are working of order promising ID, Line No and line ID in a planning worksheet 5. Why the navision said "the system uses it internally when I press F1 help in the planning level field ? 6. What is the function of priority in the production order and unit cost (ACY)? 7. I also would like to ask the overhead rate in navision. is it same as overhead cost ? Can I put additional cost in the indirect cost? I am sorry for many questions but I don’t have an enough source and experience. thank you. Rgds, Mark

Dear all experts, I beg your please to answers all my two topics that make me sick and can’t sleep. tks a lot rgds, Mark

Hi Mark You are asking a lot of questions, and many are in-depth. I will endoeavour to eventually answer them all but unfortunately I do not have the time to go through all of your questions. I suggest you attempt to work these out yourself, and if you can to get on the manufacturing course. I will answer these when I get the time along with your other lengthy posting. Please also bear in mind we have performance issues with the site currently, and I have already replied twice to this posting and got error 500 messages.

Okay

quote:

1. What is the function of critical path in the production order routing, that usually begin checked in the second operation in a production order routing and for a certain work center that has 3 machines consolidated to it but the machines consumed by one production order but located in the different routing ? And also I wonder why the critical path is checked by system only for machine center that has higher run time than 2 others after I drill down production order need amount field in the work center card?

This makes no real sense to me. Can you tell me which field you are looking at from which menu. Can you also tell me the version of Navision you are running.

quote:

2. Could you let me know where the field menu of output journal located ? I know the table is a source of a form but for some specifics forms like the output journal has no table. How to create such a journal ?

I will assume this is version 4.0. From a released production order select the line button and item journal. The entry type output shows all of the routing steps. You record the output quantity (pre-populated based upon the Manufacturing setup setting) and flag it as finished and post the journal. Or Manufacturing - Execution - Output Journal. Put the production order number in, select functions and explode routing and report away.

quote:

3. I Would also like to find out if anyone has implemented Navision manufacturing in a Kanban environment.

The answer is yes, but I am not aware of the success factors. With Navision you really need scheduled start and finish points, which does not easily fit into the Kanban environment, but I believe there are add-on’s and people integrate or reflect the Kanban signal in Navision, with the Kanban acting as the trigger and this being replicated in Navision.

quote:

. What is the function and how they are working of order promising ID, Line No and line ID in a planning worksheet

I see you are looking at the table rather than the form. These are simply internal references from teh origins of the supply to meet the demand. From teh sales order you have the ability to perform an available or a capable to promise calcualtion based upon an entered planned delivery date. If you accept the suggestion Navision creates the acceptance as a line in the requisition worksheet that can then be actioned. As the requirement stems directly from a sales order and the order promising funciton the reference to the order promising is retained on the requisition line. Go to a sales order, go to the order promising option, calcualte or accept it, go and see the creation in the requisition worksheet and these fields will reference back to your sales order.

quote:

5. Why the navision said "the system uses it internally when I press F1 help in the planning level field ?

It means it uses it internally [:D] The field indicates which planning level the item on the production order line belongs to. The program automatically fills in this field when it calculates a plan. This information is comparable to the Low-Level Code on items, however, this field refers to the planning. I can get nothing but 0 in this despite having different levels of requirements in the BOM, so no idea how Navision uses it internally. I would not worry about it unless you intend to use it for another purpose! It maybe an old field no longer used.

quote:

6. What is the function of priority in the production order and unit cost (ACY)?

In Navision you have the whole concept of reporting in an Additional Reporting Currency. Navision abbreviates this as ACY and this is the unit cost of the production order as expressed in the additional reporting currency.

quote:

7. I also would like to ask the overhead rate in navision. is it same as overhead cost ? Can I put additional cost in the indirect cost?

The overhead rate on the item card adds an absolute amount to the cost of the item, you also have the indirect cost % that adds a % of the cost to the item for capturing indirect costs. Whereas the same fields on the machine or work centre relate to that area and not the item as these costs are added per unit of measure of the centre, not on the final cost of the item. In other words your general overhead cost could be made up of production or item elements contributing to calcualte the overall cost of the item.

Thanks a lot for your prompt and correct answers. I have made trouble for you but I admit that I have low navision knowledge. basiccally, I use na. 4. sp.01. I explore all tables relate to manufacturing begin from production untill finance. I will reply your answers stepwisely using quotes as follows:

quote:

From a released production order select the line button and item journal. The entry type output shows all of the routing steps. You record the output quantity (pre-populated based upon the Manufacturing setup setting) and flag it as finished and post the journal. Or Manufacturing - Execution - Output Journal. Put the production order number in, select functions and explode routing and report away.

I open object designer and press table button in the left panel to find the table special for output journal, but I can’t find it. I press form button in the left panel and find output journal form. I press field menu button and find so many fields but I want to know where all the fields come from, are they from a certain table that is listed in the object designer. I want to add some new field in the output journal and can post it to capacity ledger entry. the new field is created in the machine card. It can be assumed that same as unit cost.

quote:

quote: 1. What is the function of critical path in the production order routing, that usually begin checked in the second operation in a production order routing and for a certain work center that has 3 machines consolidated to it but the machines consumed by one production order but located in the different routing ? And also I wonder why the critical path is checked by system only for machine center that has higher run time than 2 others after I drill down production order need amount field in the work center card? This makes no real sense to me. Can you tell me which field you are looking at from which menu. Can you also tell me the version of Navision you are running.

I don’t understand what you mean but I am using nav. 4 sp1. when I open prodouction order routing table in the object designer, I find critical path field and I can do nothing for the field. I want to ask what its function is. for example, I have work center consists of 3 machines. the machines consolidated to the work center. When I create 2 or 3 production orders of different item but have routing that uses the machines, there will be checked mark sign in the critical path field but only for 2nd and 3 machines. I also find the critical path in the machine or work center card. if I put production order need amount field in the card that I take it from the card’s table, then I lookup or drill it down (because there is a tabvle relation), I can find the critical path field in the table that shows the 3 machines attached to a work center but only checked to a machines whose run time higher than 2 other machines. Pls let me know … rgds, mark

Hi Mark Essentially this forum is a funcitonal one, generally users will not go to object designer and design the table, if you want these sort of questions answered you will need to post in teh developers forum as they deal with the code. I am not a developer so why a field exists in a table when I never see it is of no real concern to me, assuming Navision works how I want it to. In answer to your output journal question it used the item journal line table to actually post the transaction, when it is pulling information in this will depend where you are doing it from, the function or the production journal and it may pull the same piece of code, but I would guess as it is output you will need to add your fields to the routing, pull it in on the appropriate procedure and then it will appear on the output journal if you have added it to the item journal line. However as I said I am not a developer!! You also really need to understand the system prior to modifying it, otherwise you may well be re-inventing the wheel.

Mark, answering a bit the development part of your question… the table you are looking for is “Item Journal Line”, and a form in Navision always relates to a single table. You can open the form in design mode, open the properties and search the property “SourceTable”… As Steven mentions, the end user never uses tables directly, all information is shown through the forms, therefore you may review fields that Navision uses internally and no user will ever see. Adding funcionality, new fields and passing this new fields to posted entries needs a bit of investigation - especially knowing what does the standard do and how does the information flow from the data entry side to the posted entry part, e.g. adding a new field on the machine table (which would be different in simply adding an existing field to a form!) does mean that you still have to work the way through the journal and the posting process to make it get to the ledger entries… Saludos Nils

Hi Mark Again you will need a developer to look at the purposes of the critical path field. Looking at the data and playing with it it would seem ANY operation after the first is deemed critical. This does not matter what the settings are on the routing or the work centre or machine centre cards.