Problem with posting batch receipts

My company posts daily batches of checks. For example there may be 75 checks, with one line on the bank rec of 75k. We enter each individual line with the same document number with one balancing entry. (short example below)

SRC001 Yale -500

SRC001 Stanford -500

SRC001 Harvard -400

SRC001 Yale -500

SRC001 BANK1 1900

The problem we have is when we have two checks from the same organization in teh same batch. The system does not differentiate between the two since they have the same document number and customer account, and you have to manually overwrite the total on the second Yale (in this example), and then when you post it, the allocation is all messed up/partially allocated, or not allocated at all.

In our old system each line had a seperate document number for every line, and was grouped together by a batch number. I don’t seem to be able to find a way to do this in Navision. Has anyone had this problem or have a solution? this is a big problem for us, and we have to join two checks (or more) into the same entry which is very bad form.

Any help someone could provide would be great, thanks!

Michael Randall

Why are you not entering the cheque number as the document number and balancing each line to the bank? This would also enable the individual reconciliation of each cheque in the bank account, and you can associate it with the batch so you do not even have to fill it in. You have your old systems batch number by using the batch name and date, or you could use the external document number to record a “batch” if you are not using this field - it really depends what you are using/want to use the batch number for.

Ok sorry,. perhaps i wasn’t clear. These are payments coming in to us from our customers, not checks we are writing out. So every day we have one amount hit our Bank (made up of many checks). So if we balanced every line we would have 50 times more work to do when we went to do the bank rec, having to reconcile every line individually rather then one balancing line hitting the bank.

Nope I was fine, I was recording the incoming cheque number for identification.

So if you put all the days deposits in as one entry and enter one incorrectly how do you know which one it is? Anyway slightly irrelevant, are you applying the payment on the line? I am not sure why you are having to alter the value on the line, I can enter different values on the same document number. Are you saying it automatically reflects the earlier value?

It’s slightly hard to explain…i’ll try again

So yes we are applying the payment on each individual line, the problem lies in that since we enter things in batches with all the same document numbers for each check from the customer (so that you can have one balancinng entry to the bank) the system doesn’t differentiate between two different lines, using the same document number, and the same customer. If we never received a check on the same day from the same customer, this wouldn’t be a problem. The problem is that we often receive 2 or 3 or even more checks from the same university on the same day. So when you go to apply the payment for each one, it already has a payment in the account reading the same document number, so when it totals it up after hitting ok, it adds the previous payment for that customemr as well,a nd you then have to overwrite the amount, and that’s where the system then messes up and doesn’t allocate things correctly.

The only way to really understand is to go into navision. And try exactly what i’m suggesting. Put 10 payments using the same document number, with one balancing line, and make some of those payments for the same customer and you’ll see the system getting confused.

In our old system (called exchequer), every single payment had an individual document number and could be batched together by a batch number resulting in one line on the bank rec. Which is what we’re trying to accomplish. Navision if you have a different document number for each payment, there is no way to “batch” these together so that it shows up as one line on the bank rec.

Yep I understand perfectly, and if I create 5 lines with the same document number and different values and then go to the Applies-to Doc Type as Invoice and Applies to Document No. as the invoice number the same on four lines and a different invoice on the last line. I then load a balancing amount to the bank.

No issues posting and no issues with the tracing back of the entries.

How are you applying? How does it mess up? What version are you on and what localisation? Any modifications? Have you reported this to your partner?

Hmm…perhaps the problem is i do it in reverse. I go to applied to ID, and apply the invoices which fills in the amount for you. I choose to do it that way because it guarantee’s my staff always are allocating the full amount and no mistakes could be made. But if it works correctly entering the amount first and then allocating it we should do that. I’ll give it a try. Thanks

It maybe better to do it that way when two cheques come in from the same supplier - I was doing it all to the same invoice, so it made sense to enter the value first - I guess the issue is if you do not put the value in it will assume the total value as default, which then starts to give you your issue.