Posting a Rec. Journal with Cust/Vendor/Bank cards

Hi all, I want to post a Recurring General Journal in the Purchasing Module. It is about a recurring service invoice received periodically from a vendor, and the invoice total will be allocated to the overhead account with respect to different dimensions. Thanks to Navision, it is easy so far, if you choose the Account type=G/L Account. However, if the line reads as Acc.Type=Vendor, General Posting Type=Purchase, then I get a warning message saying that, General Posting Type area should be blank. Where as I expect that to be Purchase. Obeying the above warning, I try again, while leaving the General Posting type=blank; and this time I receive a different message saying that, VAT Business Posting Group is not defined. I know this is because, the system wants from me to set which VAT group to use, depending on if this is a sales or a purchase action. But, I am not allowed to go either way. What is missing? What is wrong? Is it not allowed to use Vendor, Customer or Bank cards in recurring journals? Are we bound to use only G/L accounts in the recurring journals?

If Rec. Gen. Jrl main screen has “Document Type” = Invoice, “Account Type”=Vendor, “Account No.”=10000, Amount=-5000 (You owe them). You should then allocate the offset to the G/L Accounts. This pattern should allow you to post without any problems. I dont’ think you need to populate or even show “Gen. Posting Type”. Remember main screen is the vendor, Allocation screen is the G/L. Don’t forget to assign dimensions to both the main screen and the allocation screen, otherwise only half will get dimensions. [8D]

Yes, I am preparing the recurring journal exactly as defined. And, I can not post the document, due to the deadlock described in my previous message. Have you tested this, on your side? (But you know; selecting “Document Type=Invoice” has no effect to the result. It is just an information field only on your tables/reports etc for tracking the entries. The real trigger is in the General Posting Type. There you know if it is a sales or a purchase. If you don’t use this field, the VAT can not be calculated. The system will not know which type of VAT account to post to…)

The “General Posting Type” is an attribute associated with General Ledger Accounts. You can find this field on the Posting tab of the GL Account card. Navision uses this field along with the tax fields to calculate VAT when the account type is a general ledger account. An option to note this as a purchase transaction is through journal templates and the template’s “Source Code”.

? ? ? Source Code helps you to read the G/L Register table, to distinguish which type of Journal Template (sales, purchase, payments etc…) has been used to create that G/L transaction. That is all. No more. And this information, does not help to solve out the problem of posting a recurring journal with a customer card, as defined in the first message.

Hi, I’d tried your case in MBS navision 3.70 and 4.0 but there is no problem, I used account type=vendor and then leave the gen. posting type blank (because this can be set only if account type is customer or vendor), and if you want to record the VAT and the gen. posting for the account you can set that on the account card before you create the recurring journal or you can set that when you allocate the invoice to the account. IF you still get the error just give it us the detail error message and if possible how to create the error so we can help you.

To: Real_Andi

quote:

I used account type=vendor and then leave the gen. posting type blank (because this can be set, only if account type is customer or vendor)

Thank for your message, but isn’t the above information in contradiction in itself? You might have tried it at your side with 3.70 or 4.0; OK. but, please check if the system has calculated a VAT on that journal. I doubt that, it did not. If you think, it has calculated a VAT entry, then please share a print screen of the journal window, allocation window, G/L Register window and G/L Entries List Window. And then we all know it is possible.

shame on me for quickly posting a reply and only answering part of the problem and not stating which part I answered. if you choose the Account type=G/L Account. However, if the line reads as Acc.Type=Vendor, General Posting Type=Purchase, then I get a warning message saying that, General Posting Type area should be blank. Where as I expect that to be Purchase. You are getting this error due to how the code enforces the rules for “General Posting Type”, which is an attribute of General Ledger Accounts. Thus, you cannot use this for vendors or customers. Obeying the above warning, I try again, while leaving the General Posting type=blank; and this time I receive a different message saying that, VAT Business Posting Group is not defined. I know this is because, the system wants from me to set which VAT group to use, depending on if this is a sales or a purchase action. You should have two ways to address this issue. 1. Setting default values for the general ledger account. Check to see if you have a VAT Business Posting Group assigned to the general ledger account. This can be found on the Posting tab of the General Ledger Account card. 2. If you need to enter these manually at the time of posting, you can unhide the Tax Posting Group on the recurring journal form.

Thank you for all the contributions, BUT, I understand that, I could not explain the problem clear enough, because everybody is writing something about the recurring journals; but they are not the reply to the question in hand. OK, I repeat again: I have an invoice from a Vendor on the first day of each month, for the office rental at 1000 USD + VAT. I want to post this invoice by using the Account Type=Vendor Card and the expense to be allocated by two dimensions (60% for marketing and 40% for administrative) I choose the “Vendor Card” on the Journal Line, and the expense account on the allocation window with two lines having two different dimensions. But this journal can not be posted. Try it and you will see what I mean. What is the mistake? Before, making a reply with a guess, please make sure, you choose Vendor card on the journal line; and please also make sure, the system has calculated VAT for this transcation. Thank you.

Hi, I already tested when i reply to this maybe my english is not very good so it’s make you confuse, let me show you how i did this on Standard demo database and the result. 1. I assume your VAT is 10 % 2. Create Recurring Journal, leave “gen. posting type” blank with amount -1100 3. Allocate this journal to account 8410 for deaprtment sales 80% and also allocate to this account for department ADM 20% ( IF you using standard demo database “gen. Posting Type” = Purchasing, “VAT. Bus Posting Group”=National, “VAT Prod. Posting Group”=VAT10, otherwise you can set it when you do allocation) 4. Post the transaction Here the result : Account 5410 (A/P) is credited -1100 Account 8410 Department SALES is Debited 600 Account 8410 Department ADM is Debited 400 Account 5631 Purchase VAT is Debited 60 Account 5631 Purchase VAT is Debited 40 The point is you set “Gen. Posting Type” and VAT on the Allocations window or on Your expense acccount before you allocated to that account. Hope this will help you.

Aloi, Thank you for your cooperation. The last paragraph was the key to the question. Regards.