Planning Worksheet and Multiple Production BOM's for Single Item

I am working on a client that produces a specific item (one item in NAV) that can be manufactured at multiple locations, thereby having a slightly different bill of material at each location. Also run time maybe different by location due to differences in plant line equipment variations. But note, the finished good is still a single NAV item.

An example of this would be a finished good NAV Item with a label as one of the components that only differs by “Made in USA” or “Made in Canada”. The client therefore has separate NAV component item numbers for each of these labels. But the finished good item is still the same NAV item number.

NAV does not suggest Bill Of Materials by location as the PBOM and Routing No fields live in the Item level without Location.

Am I over complicating a manufacturing concept or is this a valid NAV Production dilemma that NAV out-of-the-box can’t really handle?

If valid, I was thinking of doing this mod:

1. Move the Production BOM and Routing No. down to the Stockkeeping Unit Card.
  2. Modify the planning engine to look at SKU Card instead of the Item Card. (What to modify I have no clue yet!)

Has anyone every done this (or even considered) and give me an idea as to how difficult it is to undertake?

Does anyone have another solution?

Manufacturing in Navision was always considered a “lighter” approach rather than many eavey all encompassing systems, this means that functionality like BOMs and routings per manufacturing location are not catered for.

If I had this requirement I would approach it the way you are. The SKU is the most logical place to hold this information. As for the level of difficulty I am not a developer, but the reference of the tables from the SKU is not difficult, then you have to modify the planning engine to reference the SKU table rather than the item table when the BOM and route are referencing in the planning worsheet - it does not sound like an earth shattering modification to me.