Payment Transfers - a better process?

I am attempting to model a procedure where an AR clerk can transfer a payment from one customer to another in as few steps as possible without touching the bank GL. This situation may occur when an payment is applied to the wrong account. My suggestion was to cancel the payment and re-enter the payment to the correct customer – but we do not want the bank account to be effected. I also kept running in to the problem of re-opening one invoice and closing another without performing a cancel payment. Is there a more streamlined process? Any ideas?

Thanks!

This question sounds mostly functional and part developer. I would first define the business process that you would perform to do this. I’m a developer, but it looks like you can just do (AR>Journals>Payments>Payment Journal) and then create a payment journal from one customer to another by choosing the account, debit/credit, then the offset account type, choose customer, and choose what account.

It sounds like you’d have to tinker/configure your setups to make sure everything posted correctly. If you want to streamline this more, then you could create some code to post the payment journals with less work.

Thanks Alex!

I’m following you, but I am unable to capture the original invoice that needs to be unapplied when creating a payment journal line. (I want it to show back up on my collection screen) The only invoices available are open invoices. I can put the $ back on the account, but I am unable to re-open the invoice. Any thoughts?

Jason

Hi Jason,

To re-open the Invoice, you could go to Closed Transaction Editing and reverse the previously posted Settlement. You can find this form in All Customers > Collect tab > Settle > Closed transaction editing > mark the transaction you previously settled > click Reverse button.

This reversal will not reverse the selected vouchers, it will only undo the previous settlement and will make the invoice open again for settlement. However, it may create new voucher entries in case of differences in posting profile between the invoice and payment (example: settlement of Advances).

Thanks.