Order Number not appearing on Invoices

Hi, I’m having dificulty getting order numbers to print on an invoice. I checked the Sales Invoice Report and in the order No field it has “Sales Invoice Header”.“Order No.” but when I go to print nothing appears. I am using Navision 4.0 SP1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

quote:

Hi, I’m having dificulty getting order numbers to print on an invoice. I checked the Sales Invoice Report and in the order No field it has “Sales Invoice Header”.“Order No.” but when I go to print nothing appears. I am using Navision 4.0 SP1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Originally posted by reckless - 2005 Nov 30 : 20:25:26

With which function was the invoice made? Invoice → Get shipping lines? This function doesn’t fill the “Order No.” field on the invoice header, since you might choose shipping lines from more than one order. Anna

I am posting the invoice under the Invoice form. I noticed this under the sales shipment report also. I am not using the Qty to Assign or Qty Assig field. Is that a possible issue? I am entering the Quantity in the Quantity field.

quote:

I am posting the invoice under the Invoice form. I noticed this under the sales shipment report also. I am not using the Qty to Assign or Qty Assig field. Is that a possible issue? I am entering the Quantity in the Quantity field.
Originally posted by reckless - 2005 Nov 30 : 20:58:49

You are posting the invoice under the invoice form, ok. And you are filling the invoice lines yourself? Where are you expecting the order number to come from?[8D] Anna

I am filling the invoice lines myself. I enter the order number (first field - You can’t start a sales invoice without a number). After entering the number, the customer number(has all the customer information attached to it), the po number, then the item, quantity, pricing - I go under Posting->Post and Print.

quote:

I am filling the invoice lines myself. I enter the order number (first field - You can’t start a sales invoice without a number). After entering the number, the customer number(has all the customer information attached to it), the po number, then the item, quantity, pricing - I go under Posting->Post and Print.
Originally posted by reckless - 2005 Nov 30 : 22:00:17

Forgive me. Unless there is something unknown to me in the USA version, I’d say the number you enter is the temporary invoice number, not the order number. That is filled by the posting routine when you make an invoice against a sales order, which is an other thing. You should post your invoice under Order, enter the number and all the other data, as you were doing in the invoice form, then go under Posting → Post and Print and check Shipping+Invoice in the dialog box. That way you will get your number as the Order No. Anna

Or if you want to use invoices enter the “order number” as the external order number, the number field is the unposted invoice number as Anna explains, replaced by the number series for posted invoice numbers. However as standard I believe the “Posting Description” field will hold your number prefixed with the word invoice (but check this in the US version. Essentially the order number field on the sales invoice header table is only populated if you created the invoice from the order.

Many Thanks Anna & Steven! Such a simple mistake but I spent hours trying to figure this out. What is the difference between using the Invoice form as opposed to the order form? I’ve seen this in other ERP systems also…

Hi Some businesses do not need the control of the order, the ability to take the order, fulfill it and then ship it to be invoiced later. Some businesses simply invoice for goods or services, and therefore have no need for the sales order granue so do not use it, however even those that do can shortcut the process by loading an invoice on directly if they wish.