Object Types

Can someone please explain to me how the “Object Types” work when trying to set permissions for user “Roles”. Navision 2.60b. When I try to change the Object Type Read, Insert, Modify, & Execute permissions, things go haywire. I have tried to set the “ALL” role permissions to all YES, then people have full access to everything. When I set the “ALL” permissions to indirect then you cannot open the Main Menu. I have played around with all the Object Types, but none of the Object IDs. While trying and trying and trying. I have found that If I set certain object types permissions to YES and others to INDIRECT I can view the Main Menu, but cannot open or view anything else. But if I go back and change the Table Data READ & EXECUTE permission to YES, then it opened the flood gates for everything even though the temporary user has only the ALL role and no others. What I am trying to achieve is I was users to be able to use Contact Management, But I do not want them to be able to view General Ledger. When ever I make the changes I can either view nothing at all period. Or I can view it all. Where is the in between here? Help me Owbe Wan Kanobe your my only hope![:(]

Hi “backyourpack” It isn’t easy to find the right adjustment of roles [:(]. I would suggest: contact your NSC for (first) advice. Here are a few hints: - NEVER set ALL for all users (just read the current ‘Undelete Company’ thread) - try to use the standard roles and change them step by step - indirect in this case means rights for functions running by the user (e.g. posting in G/L Ledger) - Do a search in this forum for “role”. You will find a lot of information regarding setting permissions bye André

Well… i suppose he’s also wanting to know a bit about what all that stuff means: 1) Tabledata → Means the actual data into the database (the records). 2) Table → Means the objects table (the structures of the data). 3) Form → The actual forms where you can see the data (in other words, the normal screens, like the menus, the item card…) 4) Report → All the report objects (like the trial balance). 5) Dataport → Similar to reports but used to import/export data (dataport objects). 6) Codeunits → Objects that contain only code and functions. Used mostly on internal processing of the application. 7) System → System functions that are related to several functionalities on the database, like expanding, backup, restore, delete company, delete database… (really important to properly setup this type to the different type of users). For setting up the permissions for users allowing them accesing to certain parts of the application or not you’ve to play with the subtypes properties also. If you’re having as subtype 0 it means all the objects of that type. Ex: Tabledata 0 means all tabledatas Form 0 means all forms By default Navision is giving the most permisive permission you’ve in a user so you can combine different sets of permissions (also called roles). Example: if your user is using two different roles (one that does not allow him to use form 10 and one that allows him it will allow him, as you’re having at least a role for that user that allows him), so if you’ve the generic (subtype 0) allowed, it will also allow all other objects of that type. Regards (Obi was busy right now… he will try answering next post… [:D],