Normalization In Attain

Cronus database is normalized upto which normal form ?

I don’t really think that you can measure the database structure as being on a certain normal form. They’ve taken a more practical approch, then just amining for level 3 (if I remember my computer school theory). If you would like to take a close look at the structure, then I recommend you to try out the Navision Development Tools.

3rd normal form was clearly the goal as Erik states, but it has been tempered by the practicalities of speed of reporting and data display. Any time this topic comes up, we need to consider it in the context of when the theory of data normalization was being developed and the state of the technology at that time. This was even before my time (I remember steam-powered computers), however, the primary issue then was data storage capacity and a database without any replicated fields was to approach data storage Nirvana. Unfortunately, in actual practice, while this is an efficient storage method, it delivers a heavy penalty in reporting speed. So with today’s cost of storage space ($399 U.S. for storage bigger than a supertanker), they’ve taken the pragmatic approach. There are fields duplicated for reporting speed…

Thanks for the valued comments.In a typical scenario where i am involved in development from premade functional and design documents, the cllient has now engaged a database expert oblivious of navision. Now reasons are being sought from me for lack of “expected” level of normalisation and I have tried reporting speed and other issues known to me for an answer but to no avail. Allen’s comments on timing and technology make perfect sense but how to really put the client at ease. I am comparatively new and require support, reasons and examples if any possible eagerly. Just for clarity, the functional and design docs are not made by me. Thanks again Anant

Anant, It’s always an interesting subject to discuss! And you’re very welcome to ask other clarifing questions you might have here…