Navision upgrade time estimate

Hi,

i just want your opinion. If some modification took 100 hours to develop how long it will take to upgrade it to new version?

(asuming average programmer did it and average programmer doing upgrade).

1,5,10 hours … ?

I would answer with annother question: How much are a new car? My point being, you need all the specifications on the car to give a price (BMW’s are a little more than a Skoda) The same goes for your question. In what areas are the modifications done? - i.e. Warehouse Managment was very different from 3.6 to 3.7. If you ‘just’ added a bunch of fields and basicly added you own granule, that can simply be imported into a ‘Clean’ new version. Short answer: You cannot make a rule, you have to do it on a case by case basis.

It depends on if your customizations are changes to existing objects or if they are all new objects. If they are only new objects then the object upgrade would take the time it takes to import them. If they are mostly changes to standard Navision objects, then you’ll have to replicate those changes to the new versions of the objects, which takes more time.

If we are talking about fairly simple modifications in an object, then it should be just the time that it takes for Navision to import this fob. If we are talking for serious modifications in the standard objects that Navision is using, this implies a lot of time just for making sure that you have a complete fdb with all the add-ons, hotfixes, etc and that there are no conflicts between the existing objects and your modifications. I don’t even wanna get started for cases where you try to upgrade a 2.6 version to a 3.7 or to the newly arrived 4.0 :slight_smile: I strongly agree with Henrik…there is no rule of thumb concerning upgrade time estimations.Time estimations can only bemade per scenario and per Navision version () :slight_smile:

Maybe there is a way to build some metrics on this question. For example. Time = t1 + t2 + t3 etc. where t1 = number of standard tables changed t2 = number of non-standard tables t3 = number of standard forms changed. t4 = number of non-standard forms. and so on. Using these control you can estimate how long it might take, using 1 hour per changed object and 0.25 hours per new object. Then the difficult task - recording the actual time taken. When you have completed this once you can refine the process. When you have completed this 10 times you will have a good guide and you will be able to add the x factor. Of cource for meaningful coomparisons the upgrade must be on the same version for each customer site. You know that the x factor will also be determined by the amount of change between the version of navision. And then we can look into sets and algebra.