Navision client quits expectantly

One of our Nav users has a recurring problem where his Nav client will quit unexpectedly without any error message.

I have found the below message in his windows event viewer.

Any tips of suggestions of what i should be looking for when trying to diagnose a problem like this? I am new to the Admin role and would like to able learn the best practice for sorting out these types of issues.

Log Name: Application

Source: MicrosoftDynamicsNAVClient

Date: 03/12/2018 09:19:56

Event ID: 0

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: LAPTOP46

Description:

Type: System.ArgumentException

StackTrace:

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.ExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.b__0()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.NavClientErrorHandler.ExecuteAndCatchExceptions(Func`1 execute)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.ExceptionHandler.DoExecute(Func`1 execute)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.ExceptionHandler.DoRethrowWithCatchException(Exception exception, Boolean designMode)

Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient

HResult: -2147024809

StackTrace:

at Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.Taskbar.TabbedThumbnailNativeMethods.SetIconicThumbnail(IntPtr hwnd, IntPtr hBitmap)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.WinForms.FormWindow.SetThumbnail(Bitmap bitmap)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.WinForms.FormWindow.OnDwmSendIconicThumbnail(Size requestedSize)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.WinForms.FormWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.WinForms

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

LAPTOP46

Message: <ii>Value does not fall within the expected range.</ii>

StackTrace:

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.ExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<DoRethrowWithCatchException>b__0()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.NavClientErrorHandler.ExecuteAndCatchExceptions(Func`1 execute)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.ExceptionHandler.DoExecute(Func`1 execute)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.ExceptionHandler.DoRethrowWithCatchException(Exception exception, Boolean designMode)

Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient

Message: <ii>Value does not fall within the expected range.</ii>

StackTrace:

at Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.Taskbar.TabbedThumbnailNativeMethods.SetIconicThumbnail(IntPtr hwnd, IntPtr hBitmap)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.WinForms.FormWindow.SetThumbnail(Bitmap bitmap)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.WinForms.FormWindow.OnDwmSendIconicThumbnail(Size requestedSize)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.WinForms.FormWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.WinForms

Try removing user file (ClientUserSettings.config)

It could be a filter saved.

Can you provide more detail please - e.g. NAV build, what action is the user doing immediately before the client crashes? If user logs in to a different PC does the crash still happen? etc.

We are using 2017. I think the Build no is 10.0.16177.0

There isn’t anything specific that the user is doing just general navigation around the program. On one occasion the client quit when he was in his emails.

We think that his connection could be an issue. He is working on a laptop connected to a docking station. If his wifi and Ethernet are both connected the problem will occur frequently.

When we bypass the docking station and just connect him via wifi the problem seems to stop?

That surely does sound like that could be the cause. Generally its not a problem if you loose connection for a short while. But I could see how being first connected via one network and then another could mildly said be an issue. Not just for the Windows client, but for many other applications.

But it does also sound like it is something Windows would normally handle without issues. With my own Thinkpad, it handles it correctly when I put it in the Docking and changes to ethernet.

Have you tried just to unplug the Ethernet cable from the docking station?

I have tried bypassign the docking station and plugging the Ethernet straight into the laptop. I will check with the user tomorrow and see if the problem stops.

When the connection is lost normally we get a dialog box saying “Connection to server … has been lost . Would you like to reconnect?” This is what I was expecting the user to see rather than the client quitting without any warning message.

Since removing the config the issue seems to have stopped.