Navision 3.7 ODBC Driver

Can anyone tell me where I can find the ODBC driver for Navision 3.7A?

On the Navision 3.70.A CD.

Correct, it should be in the CODBC folder.

If you can’t find it in the CODBC folder on your product cd, then just contact your local MBS branch and they’ll provide it to you [:D]

After installing it you will find it most probably in the “Navision” folder in the “Common Files” folder in your “Program Files” So : “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Navision\CODBC” is the directory to look at. To install it from the CD select “Tools” from the main menu once the autorun has started. There you find C/ODBC on the right side.

Hi,

I am VERY new to this forum as I only started using Navision (3.70) today.

I am looking for some assitance with getting my VB6 program to read and write data to Navision tables. I understand that I need the odbc driver and although I found the DLL on the server, I do not have navision on the development PC.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for reading this,

Microman

Welcome to forum, Tom,
and special thanks for your effort searching (and finding even a 4 years old thread!) possible previous postings about your problem [:D]

In order if importance:

1.You can read data, but never write/update data directly to NAV tables, especially if you are a beginner. This theme is much discussed, too, please search the forum again, you will find the info here about reasons of such restrictions.

2.What DB you have - NAV native or MS SQL (3.7 runs on SQL 2000)?
Witn Native (.fdb) you have one option - CODBC, with SQL from Visual Basic you have ADO, too.

We are using 3.70

I am only going to write a valifated date and time into the database.

I need some very basic hints, I was struggling with rememberiuing how to create a dsn.

Tom;

3.70 is Navision version in both cases - I tried to ask which DBMS you use:

Navision Native - its then a xxxxxxxxxxx.fdb file, and you run fin.exe
or
Microsoft SQL Server, and finsql.exe is then used to run Navision

Regarding to dsn etc etc - I was a VB programmer 15 years ago, and remember next to nothing, of course - but if noone other manages to answer you faster, I’ll try to recall the procedure. It was something very simple, but I did that sooooo long ago [:’(]

Hi

fin.exe and I can’t find the NAvision CD to install odbc driver on my development PC

Thanks for your help

Tom,

You can get the installation here: Downloads > Dynamics NAV files > NAV Official , I found the old CD and uploaded archived CODBC directory.

Thnaks, I now have that downloaded and installed. The PDF file in the rar is not opening up but msybe I don’t need to read that bit…I hope.

I now need a hint as to what is required in each box on the dsn setup panel in controlpanlel.

I know this will seem like very basic stuff to you eperts but I am struggling with this as it’s all new to me. I normally use ado to maniplulate Acces database files in VB6

Thanks

Tom

It is not a normal pdf document - it has something to do with Windows Installer config and always such smallsized pdf comes in pair with .msi
Don’t know how MS managed to use such a well-known (and maybe copyrighted?) file extension for completely different purpose…

Create a new System DSN:

Data source = name for it, as you like e.g. CODBC 3.7
Description = blablabla

Program folder = Client directory
Conn = Local

Database name = browse to your NAV database
Company name = at this point if you click Company a small form with companies in your DB should appear…

Options leave as is - defaults IMHO should be OK

Theoretically its all - but in practice I wish you good luck [;)]

OK, that looks like it might work, I am not in the office today and although I have a vpn to th eserver, I can’t see how I would connect from here to the Navision db.

I am goign to install VB6 and the ODBC driver on alaptop and take it to the office later today and try it therer. Is sthere no way I can connect to a native NAvisin database without the odbc install lbeing required? I am thinking of rolling out a VB program to all of our users and I am tryiong to cut down on the installation steps.

Topm

HiGuys,

I got this working, and then my laptop fell off the back of my bike before it got a back up.

I am doing it all from memeory and I now can read the navision database from VB6 but I need some basic navision help in determining what tables are there and how to read the field names in the tables.

tia

Tom