Navision 3.7 and SQL Server 2005

Hi Guys, Some technical questions for the Navision gurus out there; 1. Does anyone also know if Navision 3.7 will be supported with SQL Server 2005 when it is released in November? if any what are the issues? 2. Will Navision 4 be supported with SQL Server 2005? 3. Is it easy to upgrade from Navision 3.7 to 4? what is involved? 4. Does Navision 4 put objects into SQL Server system databases? ie we currently use 3.7 against SQL Server 2000 (SP3a) all works great my only conern is things like the $ndo$srvproperty table (navision server license) in the master database. Makes me worried about using the SQL Server for other applications when I cant lock Navision down to only its own database/s. Any help of these issues would be great, thanks, Barney :slight_smile:

1. No, won’t work. 2. NAVISION 4.0 with Service Pack 1 supports SQL Server 2005 3. Depends. You can run a 3.70 database (objects) on 4.0 SP1 technology, small changes are required (e.g. SHELL calls) 4. You can set the db property “Save license in database” to YES; then the license info is stored in the NAVISION db, not master Hope this helps a little.

Barney, Using SQL you can restrict access to the required databases for each user. We run 6 (Live) instances on 1 SQL database, each user only has permission to access the Live and QA database per instance.

Moved to the SQL Forums.

1:
Someone out there probably has 3.7 running on SQL Server, but this is definately not supported by Microsoft, for two reasons:
a) 3.7 is no longer supported at all. As far as Microsoft is concerned, this version doesn’t exist anymore
b) SQL Server 2005 as a database server is only supported for version 4.0 SP1 and up.

2:
Only for SP1 and up. Version 4.0 without service pack is not supported on SQL Server 2005.

3:
Like Jorg said, this depends on the level of customizations. For most implementation this can be an almost effortless operation, as long as there is no functionality that depends on any specific versions of external components. If you have Outlook integration, Commerce Gateway, things like that, then you will need to make sure that the new version still works for all of that functionality. If you’re ‘just’ running NAV internal processes, it is most likely a pretty straightformard thing to do. Still though, this should be guided by your partner, or one of the experts you can find around these forums.

4:
The only thing NAV does is store the license in a table in the master database, and this license (assuming that it has the proper permissions) can be used for all NAV versions up to the version that the license was issued for. In other words, the license should be backward compatible. I’ve successfully run different version NAV databases on one SQL Server instance, using only one license. You can store the license in the NAV database itself, but only if you have the granule that allows this.
You should have no problem running any other database on the same instance of SQL Server, as long as you make sure those other applications don’t interfere with any NAV tables.