NAV 3.7 and SQL (Feedback please)

Regarding Navision v3.7 with SQL Server 2000. . . Q.) Can a client run Navision 3.7 with SQL Server 2000 without knowledge of SQL Server and without actually using SQL Server, “silently”? (For example, Database backup and restore and User security settings all within Navision, safely.) All the best, Mark

C/SIDE is more “silent”, but a properly setup SQL has a low level of maintainance. Should work with some proper routines for backups etc

I can understand your requirement for a silent operation, but whilst it can be done, keep in mind that at sometime you will need help. Firstly why use SQL? Nearly all SQL implementations are because of a company requirement to be on SQL, e.g. Dataconversion, Reporting, in house skill sets, cross department compatibility, etc. All of these require an in house SQL DBA anyway. So if these are not a requirement stick with C/SIDE. SQL is great if you need it, but not worth it if you don’t. If your client does decide to go stealth mode, then have them establish a relationship with either an independent SQL Contractor that you know will be around for a few years, or with a SQL house that can provide them with resource as and when required. (From your posting, I am making the assumption that you don’t have internal SQL resources).

quote:

Originally posted by David Singleton
I am making the assumption that you don’t have internal SQL resources).

. . .Personally I have years of experience with SQL Server and recently migrated an entire Oralce 8 system over to SQL Server/ASP3/.NET - - The concern/question is regarding future Navision clients who specify a requirement for the SQL option. All the best, Mark

If you have the SQL expertise, then my recommendation is that you go with SQL when a client needs it, but in your budget, also allow for a monthly SQL checkup/house call. As I am sure you know, doing a day a month of PM on a SQL server will easily pay back over time. In terms of having an internal resource, that is all about up time, if the client can wait for you to get out there to get them up if something happens, it should no be a problem. The only thing I would suggest, is that they have PLENTY of disks and lots of space, so that you don’t get into DB expansion problems. Though these days that’s not really an issue.