NAV 2013 R2 Development Environment FOB Import Issue

Dear All,

When the Dynamics NAV Object Format (fob) file is imported into the production database of our customer using Microsoft NAV Development Environment’s import option, the new columns for the existing tables (which we have added) are not being created in the SQL Server Tables. However, NAV Dev environment is showing the details of the new table columns. But when we run the NAV RTC client, we are getting error stating that “SQL Command cannot be prepared”. When the SQL Server database tables are checked for new columns, it is noticed that the new columns are not being created in the SQL Server tables. On the other hand, for all the changes to the tables with table number series 50000, the new columns are being created successfully when we apply the fob. This is causing lot of problems in deploying changes from development environment from our NAV development environment to production database of our customer. We have experimented with customer license and our development license on the production server. But in both cases it didn’t work. But when we import the fob in our lab on to a test database, the objects are importing with no issue.

I have been writing SQL Scripts to deploy the changes from development environment to production server, which is eating my time.
Help me out to resolve this issue.

Both I and my customer are using the same version of NAV and more details are given below.

Item

Development Environment Version

Productoin Version

NAV Development Environment

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 Version (7.10.35473)

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 Version (7.10.35473)

NAV RTC

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 Version IN Dynamics NAV 7.1 7.10.35473.0

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 Version IN Dynamics NAV 7.1 7.10.35473.0

SQL Server Version

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express Edition (64-bit) - 11.0.2100.60 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express Edition (64-bit) - 11.0.2218.0 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Database Collation

Latin1_General_100_CS_AS

Latin1_General_100_CS_AS

Hi,

This is a known issue with NAV 2013 R2 initial build. These are best practice suggested by Microsoft -

1. Your Client and server should have Exe Build 36281 or higher. (I would suggest to use exe from latest CU).
  2. Keep Prevent data loss from table changes To TRUE. (Never Change it to NO).
  3. Try to add customization during non working hours, that is safe way. (this is only with 2013 R2, in future releases Microsoft resolved this issue).

Refrence Article = saurav-nav.blogspot.in/…/critical-bug-in-nav-2013-r2-data-loss.html

Thanks a lot Mr. Saurav Dhyani. Kindly let me know the URL from which I can download the latest CU of Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R3

Hi Nageshwar,

Please find information, incl. how to download, about the latest NAV 2013 R2 cumulative update here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/nav/2016/07/05/cumulative-update-33-for-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2013-r2-has-been-released/

Just to add one more thing -
Using latest Cumulative Update Exe will require a database conversion.
Please test after Exe conversion in a test environment.

I haven’t faced any issues but still suggest to test the exe changes in a test environment before implementing in Production environment.

Thanks Mr. Erik P. Ernst. I’ve downloaded the CU but I’m afraid that the Indian Version is not available. Can I just install the RTC and Dev exe and start using? Or is there any procedure to upgrade. Kindly let me know.

You can use Exe From W1. There are no specific for Indian localization.

A Cumulative update contain two things -

1. Exe Update - This can be applied in any database.

2. Application Update - This can be directly applied only to specific Country localized version (as it contain modified objects).

Steps -

1. uninstall NAV Client and Service Tier. (Test Environment)

2. You can download the latest build from the link above by [mention:61b2aa9ce72e429baa1ef43208ddbea4:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] and install Nav using the latest Exe.

3. Open the database with New Finsql client and convert the database. (Test Environment)

4. Start the service tier and test the New Exe.

Once tested repeats above steps in Production Environment.

Dear Mr. Erik P. Ernst & Mr. Saurav Dhyani,
Thank you very much for your help and inputs. Your advises have helped me a lot.

I’ve downloaded & installed the new CU 33 with W1 version and upgraded the database and compiled all the objects. It is working fine. Please let me know if I’ve to update the database/application changes by using fob’s given in UpgradeToolKit & Application folders.

Thanks & kind regards,
Nageshwar

Hi,

You have completed the platform hotfix. The other part of CU is the application hotfix which is not mandatory for the issue that you were facing.

Merging Application Hotifx is your wish or your customer request as it will be a huge task to merge it in an indian database.

You actually need to compare NAV 2013 R2 Intial Release with NAV 2013 R2 CU 33 and whatever changes you find need to be merged and the object list will be huge.

I feel instead of applying Application Hotfix of CU 33 of NAV 2013 R2, upgrading to NAV 2016 would be cheap for your customer.

Leave that you don’t need to merge application hotfix until CU Changes (Application Hotfix) are required by your customer.

Dear Mr. Saurav Dhyani,
Yes, it is not worth investing effort to apply application Hot-fix.

Thanks a lot for the answers. You are of great help to me!

Thanks & Kind regards,
Nageshwar

Welcome and please mark the answers that helped you as answered.
This will help others to resolve the issue if they have one like this.