NAV 2009 SP1 Classic Client Fatal error during installation

I am rebuilding a Windows 7 Pro system (new hard disk) from scratch and attempting to install NAV 2009 SP1 classic client from an install DVD file set that I believe is a known good copy. When installing the classic client I get the error: Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Build 29626 Error Report. Classic client. Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Classic. Fatal error during installation. No other error information is given.

I have launched (as administrator, as well as my login with administration permissions) the autorun.exe and setup.exe and get the same error. I’ve tried installing as a local PC administrator, no difference. The PC is on an active directory domain, has Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile installed. I have disabled Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus client. RTC client seems to install OK. The classic client appears to complete a partial installation (gets through the language parts) and stops about 80-95%% through with this error. When I try installing a demo database the classic client fails in the same way. The install error log does not offer any obvious hints. The PC’s Windows updates are mostly up to date - I am about to reboot to install the latest security patch for .NET Framework 3.51. I have installed this package successfully a number of times on XP and W7 systems using the same instructions.

I appreciate any help solving this issue.

Thank you.

Yes this is not much to go after.

Sometimes it gives a more detailed error message in the Windows event-log. Have you checked there?

You could also try to install it “manually” using the “Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic.msi” in the “CSIDECLIENT” folder. But then you also need to install the \INSTALLER<your language>\CSIDE content.

Hi Erik, thanks for the reply. Some more info:

I am running Windows 7 Pro Service Pack 1 on a Dell E5500 laptop with a freshly rebuilt hard drive, using the provided Dell OEM OS install disks. I have also installed Office 2007. This should be the same apps I had installed on the original hard disk with a successful NAV install.

I have just uninstalled / attempted to reinstall NAV 2009 SP1 RTC and classic client from a known good DVD (previously I was using the install files copied from our server to the local hard disk), but the results gave me the same error - NAV 2009 Classic - Fatal error during installation. Here is the installation log:

=== Logging started: 2013/10/01 09:10:53 ===
Executable: D:\Dynamics.NAV60SP1.NA.1053093.DVD\setup.exe v6.0.29626.0
Computer : XXXXXX-LAP
— logging level: standard —
RegistrySearch: Searching for registry key value. Id = ‘DotNetFx35SpLevel’
RegistrySearch: Searching for registry key value. Id = ‘DotNetFx35Installed’
RegistrySearch: Searching for registry key value. Id = ‘DotNetFx35Chart’
RegistrySearch: Checking registry key existence. Id = ‘ReportVwr2008’
RegistrySearch: Checking registry key existence. Id = ‘SQLEXPR2005’
RegistrySearch: Checking registry key existence. Id = ‘VisualJ20’
RegistrySearch: Checking registry key existence. Id = ‘MsXml60’
RegistrySearch: Checking registry key existence. Id = ‘BizzTalk’
RegistrySearch: Checking registry key existence. Id = ‘Outlook’
RegistrySearch: Searching for registry key value. Id = ‘VCPPSpLevel’
RegistrySearch: Checking registry key existence. Id = ‘VCPPInstalled’
RegistrySearch: Checking registry key existence. Id = ‘SqlDbInstalled’
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘ARP’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.171.log
Done configuring MSI package. ReturnCode = 0
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘CSideClient’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.172.log
Done configuring MSI package. ReturnCode = 1603
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘RoleTailoredClient’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.173.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘Documentation’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.174.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘ClassicClient_MX.es’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.175.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘ClassicClient_CA.fr’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.176.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘ClassicClient_CA.en’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.177.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘ClassicClient_US.en’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.178.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘RoleTailoredClient_MX.es’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.179.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘RoleTailoredClient_CA.fr’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.17a.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘RoleTailoredClient_CA.en’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.17b.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘RoleTailoredClient_US.en’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.17c.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘Documentation_CA.fr’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.17d.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘Documentation_CA.en’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.17e.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘Documentation_MX.es’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.17f.log
Configuring MSI package. Id = ‘Documentation_US.en’
MSI log file set to: C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.180.log
SUCCESS: Package (null) executed sucessfully.
ERROR: Package Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Classic failed with error. See detailed message above.
SUCCESS: Package Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 RoleTailored client executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package Documentation executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package Mexican Module for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Classic executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package Canadian Module for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Classic executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package Canadian Module for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Classic executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package North American Module for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Classic executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package Mexican Module for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 RoleTailored client executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package Canadian Module for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 RoleTailored client executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package Canadian Module for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 RoleTailored client executed sucessfully.
SUCCESS: Package North American Module for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 RoleTailored client executed sucessfully.
=== Logging stopped: 2013/10/01 09:20:59 ===

I have looked in the Windows event viewer in Administrative Events and do see some unusual events which are connected to the NAV install - Warning on RestartManager:

Application ‘C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Setup\setup.exe’ (pid 4432) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID…

In the Windows Logs → Application, I don’t see any obvious errors relating to the installation. The documentation and language modules appear to have successfully installed.

There are some other unusual warnings but not certain which ones are relevant. Erik, can you suggest what other things I should be looking at for insight? I will attempt the manual install you had suggested.

Did you try installing it using the MSI files?

Another thing that you could try is to rename the root folder from D:\Dynamics.NAV60SP1.NA.1053093.DVD\ to D:\NAV60\ or something similar. I have actually many times had installation problems because it could read all the files, because the complete file url was too long.

And of course (but you said you did that already), ALWAYS start the install program with the “Run as Administrator” option.

And you should of course check this file:

C:\Users\GLAVAL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setup.wix.msi.172.log

This is the log file for the part of the installation that fails (error code 1603).

Problem Solved!

That was a good tip re: looking in the .log file. I found a suspicious entry: ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine. If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance. Google brought up references I may be missing the right version of the IsScript engine but the setup.exe version was 6.xxx (which I couldn’t find an appropriate IkernalUpdate.exe version from answers.microsoft.com. Nor could I find the files that were suggested to be deleted "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver ", so this may not be a relevant flag. But it gave me the idea a set of common installation files were missing.

The solution that worked for me was:

1. I uninstalled NAV 2009 SP1 client.

2. I installed from a known good older DVD the NAV 2009 client (setup.exe file version 6.0.27808.0)

3. I tried to install from the original known good NAV 2009 SP1 but Windows wouldn’t let me have 2 versions of the app. I uninstalled NAV 2009 client, I did not delete any directories or files.

4. I was able to successfully install NAV 2009 SP1 classic client (setup.exe file version 6.0.29626.0).

It would seem a needed set of install files didn’t get loaded from the newer DVD but were installed and carried over from the older DVD to the newer installation. I am not clear of exactly what the missing files were but now I am able to launch NAV 2009 SP1 classic client. Thanks for the posts to help me!