Multilanguage and Text Constants

Hi everybody, does anybody know if the messages, errors, etc. in Version 3.0 will use the Text-Constants ? And will there be a Multilanguage-Version (W1 ?) that already provides a set of Text Constants for the most common languages ? Richard

I don’t know the actual answer, but there is a suggestive new “Tools” option called “Language” which brings up a choice for “Application Language.” The help message says “This window shows the available languages you can choose from. The languages shown are the languages that are included in your license file and installed on your computer.” In the (pre-release W1) objects, I only see English. But when you are in the Object designer, there is a new tools choice: Tools/Language Module/Import… So maybe if you have the right license file and the right language module, you can get what you want. Jim Hollcraft NCSD, NCSP, MCSE, CNE, MCP, MST aka Skater http://drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News

What i need to know is, wether the multi-language feature will be used by Navision to create a multi-language-version (english + french + german+ italian + …). The translations already do exist. I think it would’nt make any sense only to provide the feature and then let every NSC create his own language-versions. That would be the real reinvention of the wheel.

quote:

Originally posted by rmotzer: I think it would’nt make any sense only to provide the feature and then let every NSC create his own language-versions. That would be the real reinvention of the wheel.

I have heard that you will have the opportunity to buy other language of Navision and import in your country version. Your own field will of course not be translated. This will not be released together with NS3.0, but in a near future. Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com

quote:

does anybody know if the messages, errors, etc. in Version 3.0 will use the Text-Constants ? And will there be a Multilanguage-Version (W1 ?) that already provides a set of Text Constants for the most common languages ?

If you want to have your application multi-language, you will have to rewrite the way how to write error-messages: Old style like:

error('File not found');

will not be possible anymore. Instead you would have to create a TextConstant and define the text strings like:

VAR
  errFileNotFound : TextConst 
  'DEU=Datei nicht gefunden;
   FRA=fichier ne pas trouvée;
   ENG=file not found';

And program the error message as

Error(errFileNotFound);

------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

As usual Marcus is right. However, here are my 2 cents worth: I was shown a Navision MultiLanguage demo with complete GUI Layers (form titles, captions, messages, windows menu etc) in English, French, German and Spanish. This was a version 2.01, so firstly I cannot imagine why Navision’s product strategy has taken this long to ‘release’ multi-language to us. The only way to use the demo Multilanguage DB was to have license for multi-languages which was/is not commercialy available. The lack of language strategy was further proved because, IMO, they could have shifted to English codebase & standardized messages with Text Cosntants even earlier because you can see the basis for it already in 2.01, 2.50 till 2.6 Thirdly: Will Multi Language in ATTAIN be unicode based? For you guys in Europe (except the Cyrillic guys) and US it is just a matter of typing in with a special keyboard into the CaptionML/Text constants. In Asia with double bytes, the issue of ASCII vs Unicode is more painful. Besides with Windows going Unicode from W2K, if Navision switched to Unicode it would be a LOT easier to localize and use Windows’ multilanguaging itself.