Multi-Company Problem

I have multi companies, around six. A large number of inter companies’ transaction is done daily. The problem is time consuming with data entry; i.e.: a sales transaction from company X to company Y, will be a purchase transaction in company Y. So data is being entered twice and we have to log-in/log-out. Is there any way to simplify or solve this case.

Dont’t cross port for crying out loud.

It is possible to create entries in another company when an entry is created in another. For example, we could create a sales order in another company when a purchase order is created in the currenct company. Similarly we should be able to create an automatic entry in another company as required in your case But posting needs to be done individually.

Probably 4.0 will help you in multi companies transactions. Or you can do some developments to achieve this. Gaurav

You can write your own code to create orders in other company using CHANGECOMPANY function of Naviosion. You have to populate all the tables from your code because you can not validate data in other company. Cheers

Well you CAN validate in another company, as long as the validation code does not access any other record variables. Even that could work, if you pass the company name into the validation and change the company of all record variables. I would really recommend against doing anything but create simple records in like a queue table (create a copy of the table you want to copy and remove all validation code, then you can do a transferfields, CHANGECOMPANY and INSERT), and then have a client logged into the other company pick up these records to create actual transactions.

Hi, Be careful if you start playing with the CHANGECOMPANY for the first time. Girish is right: most of the time, you cannot VALIDATE the data you are transfering in another company. Here are the two options I would recommend: 1- Look the Intercompany module (developed by OpenDoors Technologies). It does exactly what you are looking for, and more (multi granule, multi-currency,etc.) OR 2- I you want to develop it yourself, place the data to a global table before you get it back in your new company. Ex: When posting from the Gen. Journal, copy the Interco line to a table common to all companies, including all the fields of the transaction + the target company name. When you open another company, you can have a function to get all the transactions related to this company and transfer them to the local Gen. Journal (and VALIDATING), changing the GL accounts if necessary. Don’t forget about to manage the fact that 2 companies can be in different currencies!

This issue is solved in 4.0. Since that may not help you right now, you might consider an intercompany add-on, there are plenty around or using Biztalk server. The last is maybe a too heavy solution for your problem.

Try the ‘Intercompany’ AddOn from Lanham. Roelof de Jong.