MSSQL database to Oracle 8i (Axapta 3.0)

Is it possible and how hard is it to convert a MSSQL 2000 database to Oracle 8i. We are having major performance problems and it is on the side of the database. Please Help (Axapta 3.0)

Hi, it’s very easy! 1) Install Axapta on an empty Oracle database 2) Export-import all companies from Axapta to Oracle, starting from DAT thats it. With Axapta V3.0x you should run Oracle 9.2.0.5 or newer btw, are you sure the problem is on db backend? Is the CPU load 100% in the db server? Is counter “System:Processor QueueLengh” over 2? Are you sure you are not running the personal edition of the MSSQL2000? How many concurrent users there is? Are you loading the PriceDiscTable to clients all the time? Is the virus protection monitoring the db-directory all the time? br,

CPU is not 100% utilized (around 30%) We have 8 X 4Ghz with 38 GB of Ram. I am running SQL Server Enterprise Edition 8.00.818 (SP3) We have around 40-60 concurrent users We use the PriceDiscTable alot (it has 202780 records) No Virus Protection is running on the server. (What is the SYSTEM.Processor QueueLength and what is it for and where do I find it?) Thanks for the help

Hi, System:Processor QueueLength is one of the performace counters in the windows system monitor. I heared it expresses the amount of work in the queue that feeds the processor. If the processor is too slow, the length of the queue increases. There is another interesting counter named Processor:%User Time, that tells what percentage of the processor load is used by the SQL server (and other applications) in contrast to internal windows routines. Uncheck the 'Initalize db for unicode" in the AOS configuration if not running unicode database. br,

Thank you for the help. I ran it on Friday with all setting changed and it only took 16 hours. Thanks a bunch. One other question… What will changing the “Initalize db for unicode” give me. What will it speed up?

Hi, According to MS documentation, enabling unicode degrades performance ‘slightly’. To quantify, AOS requires 8% more CPU and the number of disk writes on the SQL Server is increased by 18%. This quantification is measured using Axapta benchmark tool. Usually unicode is enabled for international systems to accomodate different languages. Enabling this feature adds a bit of processing i.e, SQL Server / Oracle driver has to convert from client locale characters to Server unicode character - both to & fro. Whereas if disabled client computers use the code page associated with the OS without any need for conversion. Also please note that more space is needed to store unicode characters. Regards, Harish Mohanbabu

Hi, Unicode: Axapta itself is not Unicode enabled, but is DBCS enabled. (Who remembers the DBCS from the DOS era) When enabled, SQL Server saves as Unicode all other strings but LanguageTxt.Txt :-p In practise Axapta manages well when used in one language installation. But it is almost impossible to get it to work when many languages with several code pages or character sets are used. You cannot change locale after axapta is started etc… And this is just the beginning… br,

Hi, I have heard that Axapta 4.0 is going to be unicode enabled … Regards, Harish Mohanbabu