MS-Excel

Dear all, sometimes I copy some data entries from Navision to Excel (by copy and paste) to check out some sums. Today I got very confused. Please follow this cenario: Open a new Excel worksheet (I use Excel 2002 but is is the same wit Office 97) add the following numbers in the same column OR row: 30.68 4.91 1552.28 169.31 -494.07 2290.59 319.86 -291.45 -3582.12 0.01 And press the SUM button for the column or row. It should be zero. Here is the result from my Excel: 2.36469E-13 I can not trust that sh*t software package anymore! Have a nice time Walter P.S.: No, it is not my Intel processor, same things happened with AMD! Edited by - walter@kirz on 2001 Nov 14 03:57:36

Hi Walter Re-format the sum cell as a number, this will happily return zero for you then! Steve

Another interesting observation: Change the value in row 10 from 0.01 to 1.01. The result is (as it should be) 1.00 However, I wouldn’t call Excel "sht software" for that. I would call it a __God dn bloy f**ing sht software__ or in other words a Microsoft product With best regards from Switzerland Edited by - fabian on 2001 Nov 14 01:03:49

Hi Steven, I know that the re-format will give me a zero. But my 12 Digit Casio DJ120 Double Power System Calculator gives me a zero without re-format and it is much cheaper than Excel. Fabian, you are right, a Microsoft product. So long Walter Edited by - walter@kirz on 2001 Nov 14 03:56:51

Hi Walter Your calculator knows that the entries you are putting in are numbers, Excel does not unless you tell it, it is your minus signs that are screwing things up. That said there are no arguments here on the argument of

quote:

However, I wouldn’t call Excel "sht software" for that. I would call it a God dn bloy f**ing sht software or in other words a Microsoft product

as Marcus so eloquently puts it! Steve

Steven, in this case it would be interesting to know which minus sign :-)) Regards Walter