Manufacturing Standard Costing

In manufacturing finished good stock item setup for location SKU and enter unit cost for location SKU but did not enter standard cost in item card (Only for SKU). Item card standard unit cost zero and SKU has unit cost. When I execute the manufacturing process consumption journal and output journal and change the release production order status to finished production order and run adjust cost batch job and check the cost amount, cost amount expected has not update.

I would like to know how to update standard cost for finished production orders.

Hi Neth,

Welcome to the Dynamics User Group!

No sure what you want here but to update the cost on the inventory produced use a revaluation journal. To update the production order use Functions → Update Unit Cost.

Have you got costing activated?
Is it standard costed or is it the fact you entered 0 in standard cost?
Are you costing by location or not?
What version?

Have you got costing activated?
Yes, Costing Activated, Automatic Cost Posting ticked, Expected Cost posting Ticked, Automatic Cost Adjust Field = Never, Average cost calc. type = item, location and variant.

Is it standard costed or is it the fact you entered 0 in standard cost?
Its a standard costing, in item card standard cost entered zero.

Are you costing by location or not?
Yes, use location with SKU, SKU card entered standard cost as 5.00 and Item card cost zero. When I process release production order it took item card cost not SKU cost.

What version?
Version = 5.00 SP1

I would like to give you further explanation with exammple.

In manufacturing use inventory location with SKU for different unit cost. Example one stock item has different unit cost each unit cost set for SKU.

Inventory item no = X0001

Locations = Blue, Red, white. Each location create SKU

Item No Location Standard Unit Cost

X001 Blue 5.00

X001 Red 7.00

X001 White 8.00

Inventory Item Card unit cost set for zero

Item No Standard Unit Cost

X001 0.00

When I execute the release production order it pick standard unit cost from item card, its mean zero cost. Then change release production order status to finished.

The finished production order picked zero unit cost. I would like to know how to update standard unit cost to finished production orders.

Costing activated?
Costing Activated, Automatic Cost Posting ticked, Expected Cost posting Ticked, Automatic Cost Adjust Field = Never, Average cost calc. type = item, location and variant.

Costing by location
Yes, use location with SKU, SKU card entered standard cost as 5.00 and Item card cost zero. When I process release production order it took item card cost not SKU cost.

Vversion
Version = 5.00 SP1

Well your setup looks fine then, I suggest you report it to your partner or Microsoft. I do not have that version available to me so I cannot confirm or deny the processing. The only other input would be modifications, and of course whether the system is designed to handle standard costs by location - it may not be inherent functionality to do this.

The standard costing method is the only costing method that the Average Cost Calc. Type list does not affect. A company that uses different standard costs for each location and for each variant must use stockkeeping units (SKU) to use this costing structure. In a standard costing environment, the option that is selected in the Average Cost Calc. Type list is not important. The setup would have to include different standard cost amounts for each SKU to enable standard costing by location and by variant. By setting up a different standard cost amount for each SKU, the unit cost would be based on the standard cost for each SKU.

So it works, but does not for you so I suggest you talk to your partner as this will be version/localisation/modification related.

The SKU Standard Cost does not work for manufacturing. If you output a SKU through production, the expected cost will be the SKU standard but the actual cost will be the item card standard cost. Natively it is not suitable for most multi-location production companies.