Manage Sales order and Jobs

Hello,

I would like to get some advises on how to manage Sales Order with jobs.
Here is the context:
We provide bookkeeping and accounting service based on accounting lines. We work on really micro projects of few hours each month but during one year.
We use project management where we create monthly task representing all the work made by accountant and bookkeeper, that help to follow hours spend on each task. So these lines are “budget type”.

with customer, we define a number of accounting lines to be worked, and it is in that base we create our sales order :
The number of accounting lines define a price.
the price is divided by the price of the resources that will work on these lines
As result we have a time amount that is distributed between the accounting tasks.

Now, I’m stuck with what could be the best strategy to link the sales order and the related job.

I thought about a simple table relation between sales order and job in a new field in each card (sales order, and job), but as newbie in business central logics, i thought that is not enough to get a strong business logics, and i need that behavior to impact efficiently the G/L

Note that I created a G.L Accounts for the lines, and I’m able to post number of lines worked into job ledger entries.

I absolutely need to create some links between sales order / Jobs, so that I will be able to create opportunities, sales quotes and sales orders.

As you could understand, for me it is not acceptable to create sales invoice from job planning lines for this specific kind of work, as long as it is micro task (from 15 min to 2 hours), we have nearly 100 task by projects.

In another hand, i use the job planning lines invoices for others kind of work, like consultancy, having consistent task (min 8 hours)

Hope I’m clear enough. Please feel free to ask more details if needed.

Thanks for all in advance,
Hicham

As someone who has worked with Jobs extensively, I would suggest you stick with the standard Jobs/Sales Invoice process. What you are wanting to build on a Sales Order you would create as either a Billable Job Planning Line(s) structure OR post your time as Billable in the Job Journal. This way you have the lines you will generate the Sales Invoice with.

The Jobs module has a Job Quote report, which when used with Billable Job Planning Lines can be designed to produce a nice Quote.

You can also create a link from the Opportunities to your Jobs to maintain that connection.

If you choose to throw that suggestion out the window, most ISVs (AppSource Extensions) that previously integrated the Sales Order/Jobs modules have moved to utilizing the standard Jobs/Sales Invoice process. You could still look at their offering to see if they have this connection available.

Best Regards,
Ben Baxter
Accent Software, Inc.