Looking for a solution for interacting with an old NAV 5.0 Database

Hello,

I am looking for a solution for interacting (read / write) with an old NAV 5.0 (SP1) Database. The installation uses the legacy format .fdb rather than SQL.

I couldn’t find yet any ODBC drivers that would work and no other solution, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Cristi

Hi Cristi,
Welcome to DUG! You’re new here, but it would be great to know a little about your background. Like do you have any NAV experience already, do you work for a user or partner? Just so that we don’t waste time suggesting things you already tried. [:)]

To “interact” with a good old Dynamics NAV 5.0 on the native database, then you had two quite easy ways.

N/ODBC NAV’s native ODBC driver or C/FRONT a SDK for writing dotnet apps to access the database.

You find NODBC on the installation DVD for the NAV version installed. So you need to find the right version for your database.

C/FRONT is found in the DevKit folder on the same DVD.

Finally, depending on exactly what it is that you’re trying to do with this interaction, then best practice may be completely different. For example if what you’re trying to do, to create sales orders etc., then that could also require additional “things” to happen inside NAV. Like communicating with the message queue.
Or you could be using XMLPort’s inside NAV, to perform the actual import/export of data.

Hi,

If I don’t have the installation DVD, how can I get the native ODBC driver for Nav 5.0?

Carlos

Hi CarlosDominguez

Download it from here: https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/UK/NAV/downloads/service-packs/MicrosoftDynamicsNAV50

Thank you
BR Damjan

Hi Damjan,

Thank you for the quickly response. But right now, I don’t have an CustomerSource account. Do you know another work around?

Carlos

Hi,

Try to sing into the CustomerSource using your work email.
You will need to create an account.

Thanks Damjan

Do a technical upgrade to 2009 R2 and you can have web services.

That’s is a good suggestion. As long as the customers license allows it.