Kit BOM and Manufacturing

Hi,can anybody share about how to setup production of wire for example we have raw materials to produce copper wires but they did not avail manufacturing or advance management. We need to record labor cost , fixed and variable overhead at the same time production per man hours and work in process. Please note they did not avail advance management. Please advise,

Thanks. Your reply is highly appreciated,

No way in Business Essentials edition - that for it is called essentials.

If you need Manufacturing, you must buy corresponding license.

Hi Modris,

I understand, but for now since they have business essentials would there be any workaround for recording all this? I am thinking to use kitting and BOM just to build a finished product. Mybe on phase two they could have get manufacturing

Thanks

Actually it’s only second time in my “forum life” when I myself verified my own answer - but my answer hereabove is really obvious…

First, Kitting is for SALES, when you sell “potatoes, chops & flies” as kit, besides, sometimes with flies and sometimes without. That’s for faster entry of Items in SO, if usually a “kit” is sold as whole bunch of Items, rather than separately.

Do you know difference between Item BOM you can find on Item Card (in menu there referred as Assembly List ) and PRODUCTION BOM? These are completely different things, actually Kitting is new incarnation in v5 for the same Item BOM, and both of them have nothing to do with Manufacturing.

Mfg is serious & complicated many-step process, it’s not a slight overnight modification to some standart functionality available in BusinessEssentials license. If you have noticed, even AM doesn’t include all Mfg modules, for some you must pay additionally.
Yes, there are people out there, who don’t use Mfg from Navision and code & implement their own variant - but that’s not because they can’t afford AM+Mfg extended licenses, or try some “workaround” while sometimes in sunny July they will at last decide for maybe buying some additional stuff - they do so, because they have special requirements, not available in Navision Mfg or difficult to achieve in Navision Mfg, and, believe me, it takes YEARS and cost them MUCH more…

As a friend of mine once said - it’s alike as woman can’t be “a little bit pregnant”, whether she IS, or she IS NOT, no middle steps, and the same with other complicated & long-running processes, especially, when happy end is the only acceptable target…

your options are:

enhance your license to include manufacturing module (not only production order basic). You need to run MPS, MRP, capacity and (perhaps) resource in your operation. for that, you need to team up with a manufacturing people in organization and discuss the way they run the floor, what controls required, things about shop floor data collection, and so on. this not an instant and simple process, and there is no single reference about correct or wrong. your organization operation model, need to be digested, give it thoughts, then adapt it in NAV.

second, you work with different production / manufacturing software. then at the end, just pull from that other program the material used & its cost (consumption), work/machine/operation center used & its cost (capacity), finished goods outputted (output) and its valuation and time (if you also need time). then you work those around with dataport or xml-port to import into NAV. use item journal line as positive or negative adjustment for items, use g/l journal line for recording values. may be you will need few modification on taking care of time matters.

thanx