job queue entries

I am having a bit of a fight with the job queue entries/log-stuff/processes and so on

first of all: is it ok that I have to start the job-entrie-get-going with code-unit 448 (Job Queue Dispatcher)? it does not wat to start working otherwise

second, what do I need to fill in in the attempts boxes? I want the scheduler to run everlasting, till the end of times, and so on, not just xx times

That were my problems for now, till I get more to work and am faced with more problems that are not solved by the search-function or google [;)]
a link to the answers would be great too!

thanks in advance

I’m not an expert but it is probably better to use NAS to start the jobscheduler. You can start it manually by using the following code in a report: AppMan.NASHandler(‘JOBQUEUE’); where AppMan is codeunit 1 (I used a report type integer with number = 1)

To run indefinitely set Expiration date as blank on recurrence tab set as recuuring job and tick the days you want it to run. I advise putting in an ending time as it seems to get it a twist towards the end of the night. No of minutes should be blank if to run it once in that day. You can ignore the attempts boxes unless you have problems with errors in running the report

Thanks for your advice, it turnes out to be a more basic problem:
we make a back-up of the data we export on each run, and for that back-up navision needed to overwrite an existing file. permission was asked, but never given we expect the queue to run on its own. We changed the procedure, now the back-up file is deleted and a new back-up file is created so nobody needs to click on ‘yes’ every 5 minutes

I do have another question:
does the queue work after the user-session in which the queue is running has been terminated? Is this possible?

If you terminate the session that starts the queue, then the queue-process is inactivated.

That is why Richard is absolutely correct that it most often is best to have a NAS run the queue.

I understand that, and that is not really a problem
the problem is that when I have worked on authorisations, users and so on I have to synchronise the users, causing nav to ‘lock’ all activities, occasionally toss users out of nav (don’t you love their screems?) and always toss my user on the NAS out of navision. I do have remote access to the server, but thoses sessions do not have the propper permissions (more security) to do what the queue must do. So it has to be running on the client on the server anyway

so now I have to pay regular visites to the server (which is a very well secured area here, for which I need permission to enter it, each time!) to open navision, log on, get the job queue running again and then I can get back to work.

We just went live less than a month ago and the authorisations are not completely done yet so I have a few of ‘on demand’ fixes every day and a few walks to the server. I can not simply have the queue started at the end of the day because a lot of people depend on the information that is updated every 5 minutes…

I don’t quite get this part…
The user-ID (AD) that you use for opening these remote-desktops, needs to be granted rights to restart the NAS-service… nothing more.
(preferably through the management-console)

On the NAS-service you must ensure that the correct Logon-as property is set, as this is also the User-ID it uses in Navision.
I believe that it is up to you to have your domain-admins create a service-account in the AD that have the needed rights.

Then when ever the NAS is kicked out of NAV, simply run the remote desktop, and restart the NAS-service.

If you can get it to work through a normal client running on the server, it is also possible to get it to work through the NAS.
NAS is limited to only be able to use windows-logon for NAV though.
Otherwise there is nothing more you can do with a normal client, than with the NAS, inside NAV.

btw…
I think that if you use the correct security-setting for the NAV-DB, you don’t have to sync. the users everytime you made a change.

In that case I should check the settings asap!
Thanks for the advice!

as for the server and it’s rights, that is a rather unusual thing here since we need to be extremely tight with our security, so tight that to most people it sounds insane, but it’s our job and we have to deal with it.

I almost don’t dare asking: what settings where?

Oups, i thought wrong… sorry.

http://dynamicsuser.net/files/folders/documentation/entry3851.aspx

Apparently changing the setting will speed up the sync., not removing the need for it.

it turns out tha single-user synch does not mess up the other users, so the problem can be bypassed. Since I do not have very large group of users it is an acceptable way.

I finally get to enjoy my coffee in a very relaxing way every now and then [;)]