Item pricing & product variants

Hi,

Just need to know if it is possible to setup different purchase/cost/sales prices per product variant (e.g. color) in AX2012.

Thanks,

Ludwig

You can achieve it using trade agreement.

Pranav…

Hello Pranav,

Agree. But is it possible to setup different cost prices for each variant?

Ludwig

Yes… On the trade agreement journal, use the dimension display feature to feature to include different variants and post the journal with different combination. Try to use the same item on SO/Po and it should work.

Pranav…

Also ensure on the item card general tab you select “Use combination cost price” otherwise all costs are seen as the same :slight_smile:

I am debating about cons of not selecting a product dimension. In our situation, We typically create a released product with storage/track/model groups, and without any product dimension. For e.g. Hard-Drive will have a unique item No. In the future, if we want to use Product Configurator or want to track item by config or size, will that pose a problem? In order to avoid that situation, I am thinking of creating 1 generic product dimension with Configuration selected and create Product Master with pre-defined variant and then release that product for now. In the future, if we need to more config or color or size, then I hope I can be able to modify the Product Dimension and then be able to receive items or sell the FGI (off-course I may need to modify the BoM lines to reflect the new product dimensions etc.,) I am not sure if that’s the right approach. Appreciate your thoughts.

For now, the released product (without any product dimension) works for now. However, if we were to use the product configurator to design the Model or want to track product by size, color etc., how can we handle that situation. please advise.

The approach would be to create new item records.

However the product dimension is one you should not mess with, so the idea of setting it up initially with one and setting this as default allows you future expansion. The configuration one is a different issue - I do not have access to AX currently, but tell me in the demo system pick any non-configurator item with transactions and then set it up as a configured item - my guess would be it would not let you configure it, but you never know.

Hi Adam, now that I have set up the items (as a released products with no product dimension such as configuration selected). Now the problem is that, Product team doesn’t want to create a new item to track the same part but a different version (i know for BoM, we can create bom version) but here we buy and sell parts and now we need to keep different versions.

Now that we haven’t applied “any product dimensions”, what is the best way to handle different versions of same item? Do we need to create a new item? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

It depends upon the controls and information required to distinguish the version, if it is critical the product dimension is the better approach, but it depends upon the reasons and the controls etc.

Hi Adam, If we don’t have to use product dimension, then what choices do we have to track difference versions of same raw material item? we happen to sell the raw materials based on the version.

Sorry correction: we just need to track the item version is a field (we sell by item number and not by version). is there any field that we can use in the “released product” form?

The two obvious choices are dimensions or separate item numbers and you have ruled both out. [:D] If you “sell” based upon these then in my opinion it is a critical attiribute that impacts throughout the process. You could look at product attributes, product categories, if you batch control you can capture it as an attribute or another field, in fact you can capture it as any item field, you issue is that you want to “track” different versions and you “sell” based upon version so in my opinion you need to control it by dimension, or a separate item number.

Okay if you are tracking the current version as the item record field and do not need to see this on sales orders or on hand views then capture it as a product attribute, or just update the description, or enter it into the search description.