Item Journal – entry Type

Hi masters,

In Item Journal U have two options That is Purchase and sale.

At what situations we can use these options. Even In item journal does not have any vendor No, Customer No, It is not caluclating any vat Amount.

So what is the use these two options in Item Journal.

Please share u r valuable suggestions…….

Thanks and regards

If you make a positive adjustment and a purchase directly from an Item journal, both aren’t that different. The biggest difference is in G/L accounts used. You shouldn’t buy item using item journal you should use invoices orders.

Some businesses may have not purchased the sales and purchase modules, using these options they can mirror the stock movement of sales and purchases manually.

…and when a sales or a purchase (Order, Invoice, Credit Memo) is posted, the inventory-potion is actually posted via Item Journal Lines

Thanks Adam Roue,

Adam Wrote " Some businesses may have not purchased the sales and purchase modules, using these options they can mirror the stock movement of sales and purchases manually. "

I could not understand how can i caluclate vat amount using Item Journal. Please throw some more light on this issue .

Thanks and regards

Whilst you cannot understand how to calculate VAT I cannot understand why on earth you would want too.[:D] In the archaic systems where for some god only knows reason they never purchased the sales module the inventory journal would be used to reflect the movement of the stock, there really is no VAT implication here, this would be done upon the entering of the journal to cover the customers liability. The way NAV is now sold you get sales and purchasing which really makes these choices slighty redundant apart from the odd exception. I have no experience in configuring the item journals to work in this manner, and nor would I [:D]

So my first question would be “What are you trying to do” my second question would be “Why” because this is probably not the best way to approach it. Difficult to carry on the chain of advice when I feel where we are heading is wrong.

Item Journal Line and VAT are not compatible. Only G/L postings done from Item Journal Line are (Item) value entries - depends on Inventory Setup, fields “Automatic Cost Posting” and “Expected Cost Posting”.