Inventory unit <-> Sales unit

Hi,

We purchase cable roles, one cable role = 200meter

So, purchase unit = role 200m

In the warehouses we also transport complete roles and we want to see how many roles (NOT how many meters) we have in inventory, so inventory unit = role 200m (and not ‘meter’ because if we have 5 roles in inventory, we would see not 5 ‘roles 200m’ but 1000 ‘meter’ → not user friendly!)

We sell to our customers per meter, so sales unit = meter.

But the problem is, when we sell for example 5meter or 120meter or …, the inventory unit is also minus 1 but we still have almost a full role…for example: 5 roles in inventory, we sell 6 meter → result is 4 roles in inventory…

Have someone a solution for this?

Thanks!

Frederik

You will have 4.97 ROLLS , not 4.00, if your Base UoM = ROLL. (accordingly UoM METER must be set up as 0.05 of Base UoM, that is as you described the setups in your post).

Usually, Base UoM is set up as the smallest used, as it’s multiplier (Qty per UoM) must be 1.

All bigger UoM’s, as boxes, palletes etc etc, in your case ROLLS then are set up as multipliers of base, NOT fraction of base, as this leads to accumulating Qty errors. If you want to report in other units than Base, this can be solved by customized reports.

Thanks for the answer.

If I set ‘decimal precision’ = 2 then indeed it will be 4.97 and not 4.00

BUT it doesn’t matter if I check the checkbox ‘Base unit’ or not…

so, my new question: what’s the meaning of the checkbox ‘Base unit’? What does it do?

Hmmm… Where is that checkbox? Standart and all localisations I’ve seen does not have such checkbox.

Base unit is the one with Qty per UoM = 1, you select it on Item Card / Base Unit of Measure combobox.

AX 2012: Organization administration > Set up > units > units. Select a random unit. On the right you see this checkbox.

Oopppsss… Up to now I was sure we are speaking about Navision, as you posted your Q in NAV forum.

If it is AX, I’ll move this thread to corresponding forum, further on please use AX forums for AX questions to avoid such misunderstandings. Many topics are common to both apps, it is hard to tell from context, but solutions differ, of course!