Installment Payments

Does anyone have any experience handling a billing cycle that is done on installment payments? (eg Magazine Subscriptions). Does Navision have a built-in way to handle this or does anyone have any suggestions? To be more specific, our client is taking magazine orders then billing for them over 12 or 24 months. They would like a way to see total money owed vs money collected, and a fairly automated way to bill on the particular day of the month for the customers. (If you bought on the 6th of Dec, you would be billed the 6th of every month). Thanks Doug Sluder Doug Sluder Computernetworkx

I have done modifications for a couple of different variations on installment billing where it was a relatively small portion of the overall business. But before you do much in the way of planning a modification, I would look at the Service Management capabilities of Attain. In the Contracts section, Invoice Details tab, you will see the field Invoice Period indicating that periodic billing is supported here as a standard capability. I would model whatever I was going to do on what you see here, if feasible. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Hi Doug, We did a simple mod for a client along these lines, to allow up to 3 installments. I changed the payment terms to allow up to 3 date calculation formulas and added fields to hold the percentage split between these. The posting routine then created 1, 2 or 3 Customer Ledger Entries for the invoice with due dates based on the details in the payment terms. After this standard Navision handles everything. It works fine but I don’t quite know how it would handle 12 payments. Email me if you are interested and I can send you the code. regards, Dan.

Have u tried using something a bit more simple… like using a paymend term of 12 or 24 monthly payments with 1M distance between them?? Example: the total amount of the payment is 24$. The payment method for a year of subscription can be 12x1MONTH with date of 1st payment = 1M and number of payments 12. Regards, Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

quote:

Originally posted by apertierra: Have u tried using something a bit more simple… like using a paymend term of 12 or 24 monthly payments with 1M distance between them?? Example: the total amount of the payment is 24$. The payment method for a year of subscription can be 12x1MONTH with date of 1st payment = 1M and number of payments 12.

Oups… after checking i’ve noticed that that functionallity is not allowed in the US Navision version, as is allowed by using the “Cartera” mod that comes in the standard ES Navision Version (the version used on Spain), sorry… Regards Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

Dan: We made almost exactly the same mod for a customer and it works great, but (the same as yours) it allowed for only two or three payments. Alfonso: The functionality you described as being present in the ES version but not the US is in the Service Management section of Attain. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Navision does not have a built in way of handling this. But all NSC’s will have solved a simular revenue recognition/ billing problem. Paul Baxter

quote:

Originally posted by Dave: Alfonso: The functionality you described as being present in the ES version but not the US is in the Service Management section of Attain.

Thanx, Dave,i just checked it with v2.60 and i didn’t checked it on Attain… It seems to me one of the best ways to solve easily that problem, as the total amount payment is divided into the payments and Navision controls all the rest… :slight_smile: Regards Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

I created a mod similar to the one Dave mentions. However in mine, the user could specfy the number of installments in the terms table. This provided for a theoritical infinite number of installments. Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

Interesting how each of our mods is alike, but each is a little bit different. Although my mod only allow for either one or two or three payments, it allowed for them to be in any proportion so long as the total added up to 100% (i.e. you could pay 50%, 30%, 20%, or you could pay 10%, 35%, 55%, or 60%, 40%, or whatever) It would be ideal if you could combine the best parts of my mod with the best parts of Bill’s. (BTW: Bill’s is more like what Attain does in Service Manager). Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner