How to Set email Originator (the "From" name)?

Using information provided in the NOLUG forum (Thank you all!), I have created some order status email routines which contain messages > 250 characters long. They are moderately crude, but quite adequate. Now I want to set the Originator (the “FROM”) name in the generated emails to something other than the current default. I want several users all to send out order status updates from “CustomerService@GoodCorp.com” Any ideas? I’ve tried setting the MAPIMessages.MsgOrigAddress property, but it is readonly. I’ve tried setting the property MAPIMessages.RecipType := 0 (which means Originator), but that’s not allowed. Thanks in advance for your help. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever

This information orginates from the FROM field of your MAPI profile, so the only suggestion that I have is to create a new profile with this email address. Normally this is not a practical problem since (at least the numbers times that I’ve create email notifications) this is done from a fixed session on the server. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

The orders are being processed by Customer Service Reps a) for completeness, as they originate from the Internet b) for creditworthiness and then c) through normal pick and ship processing recordkeeping. As each CSR is logged in as an individual user, I don’t understand how to have the message generation done in a separate, server resident or “fixed” session. Could you provide more info on how to set this up? Thanks. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever

Hi Dave, I recently came accross the same problem, Alfonso Pertierra was kind enough to post an OCX which allows you to set the FROM field to whatever you like. Check This Link : http://www.navision.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1749&FORUM_ID=9&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=Setting+the+From+field+using+the+MAPI+OCX&Forum_Title=Attain%2FFinancials+-+Developer+Forum The only issue which this solution is that your end user must have the C/OCX granule in their licence. Some other way of achieving this (which I did not explore) is to create another e-mail account (from Control Panel\Mail) … Cheers, Tarek tarek_demiati@ureach.com Edited by - Tarek Demiati on 2001 Aug 24 17:59:06

Tarek, I’m slightly embarassed that I didn’t find the earlier thread on exactly the same topic. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Alfonso’s OCX is a good solution, but the requirement for C/OCX licensing will (at least in this case) be a problem for my user. I have also explored the possibility of setting up a special email ‘profile’ or ‘identity’ which has the corporate return email address as the default. That physically works, but requires the user to switch back and forth between email profiles when they want to use their email with their name on it. If I could figure out how to make that switch from within Navision in a user-transparent manner, that would be another reasonable solution. I’ve tried that too but so far without success. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever